Software Engineer - Full-Stack
At Index, we're building the modern dashboard for business metrics. Business intelligence tends to be a pretty sleepy category full of overly complicated tools. We're building a product that feels timeless, intuitive and powerful. We do this by focusing on consistency, simplicity and appealing to what's already familiar. There are just a few product categories left in this new wave of productivity tools, and we're going after one of the biggest whales out there. It's still day one.
Skills: GraphQL, Node.js, React, TypeScript, Data Analytics, PostgreSQL
About this Role
So, what will you do as a Founding Engineer at Index?
- Build new product features: everything from start to finish including conception, research, shipping, maintenance, and polish. For example, you will build new integrations, a dark mode option, a way to improve the UI via keyboard shortcuts, etc.
- Improve reliability and performance: for example, help us decrease load time of our blocks.
- Improve internal processes: help us use build internal dashboards (ideally with Index 🙂 ) that increase our leverage as a team. For example, a way to monitor and respond to new applicants quickly.
- Shape the future of work space: if you're interested having an impact in this industry we believe that Index is one of the places to do so. If you want to become more well known in the community we're happy to introduce you to other engineers working on similar problems. We also encourage you to write about what you learn as you build Index (e.g. blog posts, twitter threads, newsletter series, etc.). We will try to amplify your message as much as possible.
“If ease of use was the only requirement, everybody would still be riding tricycles” — Doug Engelbart
This might be for you if you're a...
Rapid Learner: you can pick up most technologies as you go and you proactively seek the best solution/implementation even if it's not what we're currently using. To you, using the right technology is a means to an end rather than a question of ideology.
Team Builder: you're excited about joining the founding team growing the team by interviewing and coaching new hires.
Product Tinkerer: you can translate sketches from Figma or a napkin into components with little guidance while being mindful of how this fits with the rest of the product and what's best for the user. You also enjoy shaping our product direction by participating in user interviews, roadmap planning and feature brainstorms.
Holistic Thinker: you care deeply about shipping features that will move the needle for our users and the company. You're constantly trying to find the balance between speed, craft and revenue.
- Have 2 - 10 years of experience as an individual contributor with modern programming languages/technologies like Typescript, React, NodeJS, PostgreSQL, GraphQL etc.
- Bonus: You have experience w/ GCP.
- Bonus: You have experience with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Bonus: you've spent meaningful time as a senior engineer or tech lead (no management experience necessary). This means that you've thought about building application architectures from scratch and have experience scaling these.
- What benefits can I expect?
- Health Insurance
- 401(k) to help you save for the future.
- New laptop/equipment of your choice.
- Daily lunch (on us!).
- Flexible vacation time.
- BYOB: interested in a benefit? Let us know and we will try to accommodate it(:
- Learning Opportunities: if you want to host a meetup or some other event for the community, we will give you a small budget to make it happen.
- Guest Speakers: we've started doing an all-team "coffee break" once a week & inviting a guest speaker - customers, friends, people we just want to learn from. Makes for a social break + something to look forward to.
If you're interested in this role email Xavier (Co-Founder) directly at [email protected] with the role (e.g. "Founding Engineer") in the subject line and links to help us learn more about things you've built (GitHub, Dribble, LinkedIn, personal website, etc.).