Slope is bringing the B2B economy online with a category-defining modern payments platform. Powered by our clean data infrastructure, we are building one platform to seamlessly automate B2B payment workflows.
Slope has raised $187M in equity/debt to date from Union Square Ventures, Y Combinator, Tiger Global, and founders of Dropbox, Doordash, Opendoor, and Plaid.
As Product Counsel, you will have a broad range of responsibilities providing legal guidance on product and feature development. You will also be our compliance lead providing company-wide advice related to anti-money laundering obligations, payments, and business lending operations. This role requires both a passion for designing products and an adherence to building a strong regulatory compliant framework. You will be providing strategic legal and regulatory advice to the company while helping us bring our products to market and sign customers.
✨ Why work with us?
- You will get the chance to be an early team member at a fast-growth YC startup. We truly believe that it’s slope — not where you start but how fast we are growing and iterating
- We are growing fast and well-funded. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to join our rocketship at an inflection point!
- We’re a tight-knit, intense team, where you'll learn a ton and have ownership
- Work with seasoned second-time founders
💎 What you will do
- Provide guidance to product and engineering teams on issues related to all products and features throughout the entire product development lifecycle
- Provide pragmatic, actionable advice on requirements for existing and new products
- Draft terms of service and commercial agreements related to our products and services
- Cultivate creative ideas and insights into how legal frameworks can support new product developments and customer experiences
- Advise on product and marketing collateral, customer communications, and disclosures
- Manage regulatory examinations and audits
- Policies & Procedures - develop and maintain the compliance policies and procedures required by the credit framework, in order to support lending
- Provide strategic insight for Operations as they build support for lending workflows
- Provide reporting required by the compliance framework
- Train employees and partners with respect to the compliance required for lending and payments
- Case manage customer compliance complaints related to lending and provide formal responses to such matters
- Manage state licenses and the relationship with the state regulators
- Manage all monthly testing and reporting to the Partner Bank
- 8+ years of combined, relevant experience in law firms or in-house fintech / software legal departments
- Business credit background a plus
- Demonstrated solution-oriented business and compliance judgment
- Excellent commercial negotiation and drafting skills
- Experience with product development and advising on laws and regulations applicable to technology
- Familiarity with ECOA, RegZ, FCRA, FDCPA, UDAAP, Truth in lending, True lender consideration
- Excellent communicator both internally and externally, with ability to break down complex regulatory requirements into easy-to-understand and practical advice
- Basic understanding of AML and sanctions programs, including applicable U.S. legislation