$80B will be spent on cloud this year and engineers don’t have a checkout screen!
Engineers, who buy infrastructure via IaC on a daily basis are never told the price up front. It’s always been after money has been spent!
We're on a mission to empower engineering teams to use the cloud efficiently and economically. We want everyone to love their cloud bill.
What's going on?
We all adopted the cloud, the utopian dream of using infrastructure as and when needed. This was amazing until that first cloud bill shock happened. We thought it was just a one-off but it keeps popping up, and it feels like we’re playing a losing game of whack-a-mole. Meanwhile, the cloud providers are enjoying the show as their profits are up and to the right. It almost feels like they made cloud pricing opaque by design!
We keep repeating top-down directives to reduce the bill. CEOs shout at managers, who shout at engineers, and now the engineers can't push new features because they're too busy paying back the cloud bill tech-debt. This lasts for weeks, sometimes months, and it frustrates everyone.
This was not the promise of the cloud! So why do we keep repeating this exercise in futility?
A different approach
Infracost.io solves the problem at its root by showing engineers the cost of what they're buying, before they actually buy it. It sounds obvious, but it really is that simple. The engineers see prices that map directly to their code in their workflow.
We makes it effortless for companies to be cost-efficient from the start. Engineers are no longer frustrated by the futile cloud bill reduction exercises, they are now praised for shipping features fast. When the bill comes in, instead of shouting and finger-pointing, managers are now proud of the efficiency of their organization. For the first time, we love our cloud bills!
Engineering teams at many enterprises including BMW, HelloFresh and HP are using Infracost. We're backed by Y Combinator and other great investors. We are grateful to have a community of over 900 people in our Slack channel and 100 open source contributors supporting our mission.
Skills: Go, TypeScript
As a Software Engineer focussing on Customer Success, you will be responsible for ensuring that our customers are successful with our product. You will work closely with customers to understand their needs, build features, provide technical guidance, and troubleshoot issues.
Infracost will be great for you if
- You've felt the sting of an unexpected cloud bill and want to help others avoid that surprise.
- You’re any race, color, religion, gender, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age.
- You move fast, ask for help when needed, and love learning from your peers.
- You're not afraid to put yourself out there and gather feedback from our community of users.
- You recognize that good ideas can come from anywhere and leave your ego at the door.
- You thrive in a remote-only environment but appreciate occasional team meet-ups in exciting locations.
- You value a competitive salary and substantial stock options with an employee-friendly 10-year exercise window.
This position will be great for you if
- You're a versatile engineer who enjoys working directly with customers, solving their cloud cost challenges using your technical expertise.
- You're comfortable providing pre and post-sales technical support, assisting with product demonstrations, and helping customers integrate our solutions into their CI/CD workflows.
- Lead customers during proof-of-concepts, onboarding, deployment, and configuration of our platform in their environments.
- Implement fixes and features in our across our core product suite to help users get to success.
- Troubleshoot and fix technical issues across our product stack and customer CI/CD pipelines.
- Create and maintain user documentation, tutorials, and solution guides to help customers get the most out of Infracost.
- Gather customer feedback and collaborate with our product and engineering teams to prioritize and implement product enhancements.
- Support our community of users across our community Slack and open source GitHub repositories.
- 3+ years of work experience in a fast paced, high growth tech environment.
- Experience with cloud platforms (e.g. AWS, GCP, Azure) and infrastructure-as-code tools (e.g. Terraform, CloudFormation, Pulumi).
- Experience with CI/CD tooling (e.g. GitHub Actions, GitLab CI, Jenkins) and Linux is a plus.
- Familiarity with cloud costs and FinOps is a plus.
- You can write clearly and concisely - we’re a remote company and work with a community via open source.
- Your timezone should be +1 to -5 UTC so you can overlap with our customers in Europe and USA. Our engineering team is currently based in Berlin, Edinburgh, Bordeaux and Florida; our product lead is based in San Diego.
- Work remotely, no commuting
- Regular company meet-ups
- Employee-friendly equity terms, including a 10 year exercise window
- 401k matching (US)
- Health, dental, and vision insurance (US)
- 31 days paid vacation (includes national holidays)
- 12 weeks paid parental leave
The Infracost CLI uses Go, our SaaS service and other APIs use TypeScript with Prisma and GraphQL, and our frontend is TypeScript with React.
Some of our technical challenges include: How can Terraform HCL code be parsed and represented as a graph data structure to enable cost estimation? How can we estimate costs for resources such as S3, Lambda and Dynamo where the usage determines costs?
We also have 10 CI/CD integrations and are a HashiCorp partner working together on a native integration into their Terraform Cloud product, our dashboard enables that integration.