Our Mission 🎯
At shuttle, we’re on a mission to revolutionise developer experience for building web apps. Everything we do is about crafting an exceptionally simple, satisfying and effective way to do cloud development. We are open source community-driven and loved by thousands of engineers. Our vision: the ultimate platform to supercharge developers’ productivity.
About shuttle 🚀
We are building the fastest backend development experience. shuttle is an open source cloud platform for developing and deploying apps with zero infra hassle.
We are replacing container technology, that almost every other cloud platform relies on, with something more lightweight and simple, resulting in the fastest deploy times ever. We are talking tens of minutes down to milliseconds. This is a game changer for developer productivity - cutting down those development cycles once and for all.
We have thousands of developers in our community incl. engineers from some of the top companies and are about to launch shuttle beta. We’re backed by some of the best investors in the world, including Y Combinator, HorizonVC, Abstraction Capital, Global Founders Capital, Founders of Segment, Sendbird, Head of Product at DataDog and other successful founders and executives.
Working With Us 😎
We’re a growth mindset company. We’re honest, open-minded, driven, and ambitious and we are only looking for people who share these qualities with us.
We care. About each other and about our mission.
We are building a culture that brings out the best in people and we truly believe that the company you work at should be the launch pad for unleashing your full potential.
We keep a light and fun work environment, without unnecessary stress or anxiety. Yet we hold ourselves to very high standards and keep pushing the bar up. Continuous improvement is a must if you don’t want to be left behind. Mistakes are OK, not being willing to learn from them is not OK.
Collaboration is at the core of what we do and we treat each other with respect and kindness - supportive, yet firm and ready to provide accountability where needed.
We’re early stage so expect many opportunities to shape the company’s future. The best ideas win.
We maintain a hacker mentality - no problem is unsolvable with the right mindset. As a team, we work on hard challenges under tight constraints and are constantly pushed out of our comfort zones - if reading this excites you, let’s talk.
- Fully remote, flexible working hours and workdays
- Flexible holidays and paid time off
- Mental and physical health stipend
- Educational and self-development budget
- Support for attending and presenting at relevant conferences
- Health insurance
- Awesome work-from-home setup & equipment
- Regular company off-sites
- Weekly remote-friendly socials (games and more)
Skills: Go, Rust, TypeScript, Serverless, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
You’ll work at the core of our user facing APIs, libraries and toolchain. You will part of the team with the key responsibility of making shuttle the best developer experience for building modern backends.
- Work on our core codegeneration and compilation framework and help us support more end-user deployment configurations and a better developer experience with live IDE feedback about the provisioned infrastructure.
- Define and develop the core Rust APIs that we directly expose to end-users, learning about and applying modern best practices for designing Rust libraries.
- Maintain our collection of CLI tools and libraries.
- Play a key part in communicating, triaging and addressing issues raised by users and the community, on all aspects of the platform.
- Design, architect and implement internal REST and GraphQL APIs that are consumed by our web application front-end and toolchain.
- Working 100% remotely is an option. If you’re based in London (or are relocating), in office working is also an option; or anywhere in between!
- We use Discord as our main communication platform, both internally and with our users and our community. You’ll interact with members of our community and our users to make sure engineering design and goals are aligned with their needs.
- We’re a 100% open-source company. You’ll help the broader Rust community and ecosystem by contributing where appropriate to upstream projects that we depend on. You’ll help in maintaining our own projects, triaging issues and helping contributors.
Since every person is unique, your experience may not entirely match every point in this list. So even if you are missing a few of them, we want to hear from you!
- (Required.) 3+ years experience in software engineering or web development, in any capacity.
- (Required.) At least an intermediate familiarity with contemporary Rust, as evidenced by your own projects on GitHub or your previous professional experience.
- Proven experience being an active open-source contributor on GitHub, in the Rust, Go or JS/TS ecosystems. You have a track record of maintaining popular open-source libraries and tools.
- Previous experience designing public-facing REST and GraphQL API backends.
- You’re familiar with codegeneration (or, more generally, metaprogramming) in Rust, Go or JS/TS.
- You were probably a web developer in a previous life, and find it easy to put yourself in the shoes of a full stack engineer. Having a track record of successful web development projects is helpful.
- At least an intermediate level knowledge of how web applications are designed across the entire stack - from APIs, to containers, from server-side to client-side, and how backends are architected from elementary components such as databases and microservice meshes.
- You have a passion for open-source and developer experience.
- Ability to work quickly and rigorously in a fully remote setting and manage your own time.
- Ability to interact with the rest of the team during some of the work hours compatible with GMT +/-3.
- Be an excellent communicator for technical subjects and issues, both in writing and verbal.
- Prior exposure to Agile project management is a plus.