Our Mission 🎯
At shuttle, we’re on a mission to revolutionise developer experience for building web apps. Everything we do is about crafting an exceptionally simple, satisfying and effective way to do cloud development. We are open source community-driven and loved by thousands of engineers. Our vision: the ultimate platform to supercharge developers’ productivity.
About shuttle 🚀
We are building the fastest backend development experience. shuttle is an open source cloud platform for developing and deploying apps with zero infra hassle.
We are replacing container technology, that almost every other cloud platform relies on, with something more lightweight and simple, resulting in the fastest deploy times ever. We are talking tens of minutes down to milliseconds. This is a game changer for developer productivity - cutting down those development cycles once and for all.
We have thousands of developers in our community incl. engineers from some of the top companies and are about to launch shuttle beta. We’re backed by some of the best investors in the world, including Y Combinator, HorizonVC, Abstraction Capital, Global Founders Capital, Founders of Segment, Sendbird, Head of Product at DataDog and other successful founders and executives.
Working With Us 😎
We’re a growth mindset company. We’re honest, open-minded, driven, and ambitious and we are only looking for people who share these qualities with us.
We care. About each other and about our mission.
We are building a culture that brings out the best in people and we truly believe that the company you work at should be the launch pad for unleashing your full potential.
We keep a light and fun work environment, without unnecessary stress or anxiety. Yet we hold ourselves to very high standards and keep pushing the bar up. Continuous improvement is a must if you don’t want to be left behind. Mistakes are OK, not being willing to learn from them is not OK.
Collaboration is at the core of what we do and we treat each other with respect and kindness - supportive, yet firm and ready to provide accountability where needed.
We’re early stage so expect many opportunities to shape the company’s future. The best ideas win.
We maintain a hacker mentality - no problem is unsolvable with the right mindset. As a team, we work on hard challenges under tight constraints and are constantly pushed out of our comfort zones - if reading this excites you, let’s talk.
- Fully remote, flexible working hours and workdays
- Flexible holidays and paid time off
- Mental and physical health stipend
- Educational and self-development budget
- Support for attending and presenting at relevant conferences
- Health insurance
- Awesome work-from-home setup & equipment
- Regular company off-sites
- Weekly remote-friendly socials (games and more)
Skills: Rust, Distributed Systems, Serverless, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
You’ll be working at the core of the platform, helping us take Rust and infrastructure-from-code to the mainstream.
- Maintain the services that manage the orchestration of user workflows and deployments.
- Help us scale the platform to the next level (1000s to 10000s concurrent users).
- Improve our AWS integrations and expand the list of supported AWS resources and cloud targets.
- Contribute to our WASM runtime and WASM user-space API.
- Collaborate with the API and framework team to make sure the right platform functionality is exposed to internal teams and to users.
- Work on the dependency injector for deployments and add support for more deployment configurations and topologies.
- Working 100% remotely is an option. If you’re based in London (or are relocating), in office working is also an option; or anywhere in between!
- We use Discord as our main communication platform, both internally and with our users and our community. You’ll interact with members of our community and our users to make sure engineering design and goals are aligned with their needs.
- We’re a 100% open-source company. You’ll help the broader Rust community and ecosystem by contributing where appropriate to upstream projects that we depend on. You’ll help in maintaining our own projects, triaging issues and helping contributors.
Since every person is unique, your experience may not entirely match every point in this list. So even if you are missing a few of them, we want to hear from you!
- 3+ years of professional experience working on microservice web backends (AWS and Kubernetes) in a performance sensitive use case.
- Proven experience writing high-quality Rust code, preferably in a large codebase. We don’t particularly care how you got that experience, as long you’re comfortable showing it to us! This could be from developing production systems in the industry or from contributions to popular open-source projects for example.
- Strong knowledge of data structures and algorithms, and how they apply and can be implemented in Rust’s unique ownership model.
- Advanced familiarity with the contemporary Rust crates ecosystem for asynchronous and web development: tokio, actix, async-std, futures, async/await patterns (to name a few).
- At least an intermediate level knowledge of core AWS products and edge computing (ELB, EC2, ECS, API Gateway, Lambda (@edge), etc).
- Ability to work quickly and rigorously in a fully remote setting and manage your own time.
- Ability to interact with the rest of the team during some of the work hours compatible with GMT +/-3.
- Be an excellent communicator for technical subjects and issues, both in writing and verbal.
- Familiarity with WebAssembly is a strong plus.
- Past experience working in an engineering capacity in an IaaS team or for a BaaS company is a strong plus.
- Prior exposure to Agile project management is a plus.