VP of Engineering at Canix (S19)
$160k - $220k • 1.00% - 1.50%
Canix makes it easy to get and stay compliant as a cannabis business.
Canix is building the first generation of modern software for the burgeoning cannabis industry. We help our customers overcome daunting compliance regulation, sell more product, and optimize their day to day operations—from cultivation, to processing, to distribution.
Recent winner of TechCrunch Disrupt 2020, find out more at TechCrunch and canix.com.
About the role
Canix (YC S'19) is building the first generation of modern ERP software for the burgeoning cannabis industry. We help our customers overcome daunting compliance regulation, sell more product, cut costs, and optimize their day to day operations from seed to sale.
We're also the winner of TechCrunch Disrupt 2020, check out our winning pitch to learn more about where we're headed in the next few years.
Why work with us?
- It's clear that we're building something people want, and our traction shows it. 1000 facilities across the US and Canada use Canix to run their business, helping them process over $600M USD in direct sales and manage 50M+ plant and inventory items to date.
- The time is now. Legalization is here, and Canix is not only establishing the technical foundations of the industry as it grows, but continuously working to improve them with every feature that we ship.
- It's early. Your work will be pivotal in forming and growing the team, company and an entire industry from the ground up.
- We have a superb founding team, across sales, support, engineering and product. We've built teams, started companies, and developed products and infrastructure used by millions of people around the world before embarking on this journey together. Our team hails from Facebook, Heroku, EY, and more.
The VP of Engineering at Canix will play a transformational role in how our team is managed, measured, and modeled. We are at an inflection point in the company’s growth—we need a strong people leader and technologist to lead us in realizing the true potential of our existing team, and help us grow to 10s and 100s of engineers in the years to come (we are 10 FT and 7 PT engineers as of this writing). You will work directly with the CTO, leading and empowering the engineering team to measure success and optimize outcomes across the board.
- Build our product, end to end, seed to sale. Manage the entire development lifecycle, from product definition & scoping/planning, to code review, testing, and deployment. Contribute directly (ie code) wherever necessary.
- Play a core role in defining our product roadmap. Deeply understand the needs of the industry and our users, and find creative ways to solve complex problems with a small but mighty team.
- Hire, onboard, empower and inspire our engineering team. Align projects to individual engineer’s strengths and goals, to allow us to grow our people as fast as we grow our product.
- Measure success every step of the way. Set ambitious goals for the product team, help us all achieve them as a unit, and hold us accountable throughout the process.
You might be a great fit if you:
- Have at least 8 years of software development experience, with a minimum of 2 years of leadership experience (in a VP role or similar).
- You care deeply about your company’s product and mission, and work hard to understand the needs of your customers and deliver them value faster than they are used to.
- Are still a coder at heart, and can roll up your sleeves to solve any issue, large or small, that we face as a team.
- Are a true servant leader, understanding your role as a position of empowerment rather than authority figure (eg a “boss”).
- Are data-driven, and actively avoid making 'gut' decisions. You can reason from first principles and accurately describe the 'why', from code, to people, to process.
React Native, React, Ruby on Rails.
Hardware: wireless scales, label printers, and RFID tech for tracking cannabis.