Test Engineer at AstroForge (W22)
We Mine Asteroids
AstroForge is a deep space asteroid mining company based in Huntington Beach, California. The company was founded by Matt Gialich and Jose Acain, who have over a decade of experience working in aerospace at NASA, SpaceX, and Virgin Orbit. AstroForge plans to tap into the unlimited amount of resources that exist in space utilizing our small exploration and mining satellites capable of recovering large amounts of rare earth metals per mission.
About the role
At AstroForge, our mission is to expand humanity’s capabilities to utilize the untapped resources in space. As an Integration and Test Engineer, you will collaborate across engineering disciplines to help develop testing solutions to drive design validation and testing campaigns in support of creating the first successful asteroid mining vehicle. The ideal candidate excels at working in a multidisciplinary, fast-paced environment.
- Design and develop test solutions for in-house developed hardware products
- Select commercial-off-the-shelf hardware and/or design custom PCBAs to measure signals, apply flight-like loads, and power units under test
- Write automation software to interact with units under test, test equipment, instrumentation, and production documentation systems
- Work closely with and consistently provide feedback to design engineers to drive design or infrastructure improvements to increase product reliability and yield
- Root-cause test failures to ensure issues are understood and develop and implement mitigations as part of a process of continuous improvement
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or other engineering discipline
- 1+ years of experience with hardware development or electronics test engineering via professional experience, internships, research and/or outside the classroom projects
- 1+ years of programming experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience analyzing and troubleshooting circuits and developing functional test plans
- Experience with test equipment and measurement techniques to verify and validate product requirements
- Understanding and experience in environmental testing such as thermal, TVAC, vibration and shock
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly cross-functional role
- Ability to work in an autonomously driven and demanding startup atmosphere
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Extended hours, day or night shift, and weekend work may be required to support critical project and mission milestones
AstroForge is creating cubesats capable of reaching deep space orbits and plans to deploy this technology for asteroid mining. With its modular design, it can be adapted to fit other payloads and mission profiles offering a highly flexible, low-cost satellite.