Physicist at AstroForge (W22)
We Mine Asteroids
AstroForge is a deep space asteroid mining company based in Huntington Beach, California. The company was founded by Matt Gialich and Jose Acain, who have over a decade of experience working in aerospace at NASA, SpaceX, and Virgin Orbit. AstroForge plans to tap into the unlimited amount of resources that exist in space utilizing our small exploration and mining satellites capable of recovering large amounts of rare earth metals per mission.
About the role
At AstroForge, our mission is to expand humanity’s capabilities to utilize the untapped resources in space. As an engineering physicist, you will help develop, build, and test refinery technologies which will enable the extraction of valuable materials from asteroids for the first time.
- Run simulations and analysis to characterize and optimize our refinery payload
- Support prototyping, bring-up, debugging, manufacturing of our refinery payload system.
- Run development and qualification testing campaigns in order to exercise designs to their limits
- Review experimental and simulation data to help with iteration of design
- Research novel techniques in the refining and extraction of materials in space
- If you feel you can be successful at this position but don’t meet the minimum qualifications, we strongly encourage you to apply.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Understanding of plasma and particle physics concepts
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly cross-functional role
- Ability to work in an autonomously driven and demanding startup atmosphere
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Extended hours, day or night shift, and weekend work may be required to support critical project and mission milestones
AstroForge is creating cubesats capable of reaching deep space orbits and plans to deploy this technology for asteroid mining. With its modular design, it can be adapted to fit other payloads and mission profiles offering a highly flexible, low-cost satellite.