Accredible is connecting education with economic value. We want hiring to be about what you can do, your skills and potential and we want education to be better at improving careers.
In the past six years we’ve built the best credentialing product in the world. Universities, associations, tech companies and others are able to create, deliver and manage tens of thousands of digital certificates and open badges with just a few clicks. Our customers include Google, UC Berkeley, and IEEE and we’ve delivered over 20 million credentials
We’re a growing team of talented and dedicated individuals looking to keep up momentum and maintain a friendly, open democratic culture.
About The Role:
We seek an experienced VP of Engineering for our quickly growing organization. In this role, you will have the opportunity to join a robust team responsible for managing the engineering team. As part of the larger Delivery team, you will report to our CTO; together with the VP of Product, you will be responsible for delivering Accredible’s software product. If you are a self-starter, are performance-driven and value an exceptional work culture, please join Accredible.
Your daily job will include, but is not limited to:
- Engineering culture. Working towards a performance oriented, generative culture.
- Engineering team management. Ensuring the engineering team has the right people in it and that they are performing well as individuals and as a team.
- Engineering delivery process and performance. Designing, iterating upon and managing the engineering team processes. Ensuring that service desk issues (bugs) are regularly resolved by the team.
- Code and infrastructure quality and reliability. Enabling and enforcing good software engineering and development practices across teams.
- Service uptime & performance. Ensuring systems are stable, uptime is high and monitoring is effective.
- Engineering reporting. Regularly reporting engineering metrics such as sprint performance, velocity, uptime and defects to the broader team.
You’ll be managing a team of over twenty software engineers, senior software engineers, QA engineers, DevOps engineers and team leads. We work using the Team Topologies methodology in cross-functional, stream aligned teams focused upon a particular business goal or area. We take an Agile approach with two-week sprints for most teams and a Kanban process for our platform team. We release frequently and don’t connect releases to sprint cycles. We take testing seriously and take pride in the work we do, though like all teams we are consistently trying to improve. We have a team of hard working, experienced and intelligent individuals that work well when given autonomy and ownership, but clear direction on priorities.
Accredible uses a Ruby on Rails, Node.js, Angular and AWS to create and deliver products. Our frontend uses a monorepo approach and our backend uses a monorepo alongside a small number of point to point services.
You’ll be working very closely with our CTO and VP Product to achieve your goals. Your primary focus for 2022 is to deliver an on-time roadmap that you’ll be helping to ensure is realistic.
We expect the engineering team to continue growing in 2022 and won’t be surprised if your team has doubled in headcount within the next 12-18 months.
1 Year Outcomes
Engineering has made progress toward a performance oriented generative culture.
Changes are deployed every workday.
Lead time for changes (cycle-time) is kept short.
Failures that are incurred from changes are minimized.
Production outages are resolved quickly.
Team members are empowered to make decisions in aid of their goals.
- Engineering management of remote team members. You have experience managing a team of engineers, with remote team members. You are able to coach team members to help them perform. You are able to mediate effectively when team members disagree. You are able to manage effectively not just in-person employees, but remote ones too, including those in other timezones.
- Engineering process familiarity. You are comfortable directing teams on improving their engineering processes, and are able to take a broad as well as a detailed view. You recognize that different teams suit different practices and processes.
- Technical experience & decision making. You are able to understand and enable your teams to make decisions of a technical nature. You are able to use the domain experts on your team to reach effective decisions. You document these decisions and remind the team of them going forward.
- Highly collaborative with Product Management. You are able to define an engineering approach to deliver product requirements in a reasonable time. You are able to advocate for more robust engineering plans when they are required to meet business results.
- Client facing. You are able to speak confidently with customers on technical subjects.
- Learning. You can demonstrate the ability to quickly absorb and make use of new information. You can research best practices and make use of them.
- Attention to detail. You do not let important details slip through the cracks.
- Organization & planning. You plan, organize and schedule in an efficient manner. You know which priorities are important and choose to work on those. You transparently drop things which are lower priority, and focus upon high leverage activities.
- Compassionate leader. You listen with fascination to those that you lead, arrive at a shared (rather than imposed) understanding of the challenges they face, empathise with and care for them, and then take action to help or support them.
- Proactive communicator. You are self-driven and able to voluntarily, clearly, and succinctly communicate ideas and problems to peers and customers alike. You demonstrate high standards of written and verbal communication.
- Honesty & integrity. You do what is right, adhere to the utmost ethical standards, and are consistently transparent with colleagues regarding the status of your work.
- Open to criticism & ideas. You understand that our organization – and our employees – aspire to continually improve and you do not avoid seeking or receiving feedback regarding improvement opportunities.
- Enthusiastic. You demonstrate the ability to quickly absorb and apply new information. You can research best practices and determine how to implement them at Accredible. You want to learn and grow and are excited to take on new challenges.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive salary.
- 35 days annual vacation.
- Pre-IPO equity shares.
- Generous sick time and compassionate leave to support our team members’ health needs, and physical and mental well-being.
- Flexible hours & remote work; while we fully support digital nomads,you must be able to align with your team’s predominant time zones.
- A high-energy, collaborative, and supportive high-growth organization backed by some of Silicon Valley's top venture capital investors.
- Two hours per week (paid) to spend learning anything you like, even if it is not related to your role, plus a budget to spend on learning materials (courses, books, conferences). We love education and we believe in nurturing your growth!
- A promise to invest in your growth personally and professionally. Wherever you would like to go and whatever you would like to do, we will be there to support you.
- Many additional perks!
Accredible is Open and Inclusive. We welcome people of any gender identity or expression, race, skin color, ethnicity, age, size, nationality, sexual orientation, ability level, neurotype, religion, elder status, family structure, culture, subculture, political views, education level, identity, and self-identification. We welcome teachers, learners, activists, artists, dreamers, doers, ordinary people, extraordinary people, and everyone in between.
Accredible’s solutions enable world-class organizations to issue digital, verifiable credentials, awards, badges and certificates. Through the sharing of credentials on social media platforms, inclusion in on-line professional directories, and customized data on educational and career paths, recipients of digital credentials powered by Accredible are provided control over their learning and professional outcomes. Our customers include Google, Harvard, MIT, Oxford University, McGraw Hill, Slack, iHop, GMAC, the CFP Board and 1500+ others, on behalf of whom we have issued over 31 million credentials to over 15 million recipients all over the world. After first hitting profitability and then raising our Series A, the company has grown from a team of fifteen to a team of over 100; we are looking for exceptional people to join us along our path to becoming the world’s primary source of verified credentials and data to drive educational and career journeys. Join us and help us expand our extraordinary culture with career experiences represented by our 5-star Glassdoor rating!
We are Remote First. Accredible is truly a global team. From Cape Town to Vancouver, London to San Francisco, our employees live and work in the places that they thrive, wherever they thrive.
We are Growing Strong. We are growing and will continue to expand rapidly. We seek to increase momentum and build a professional, scalable, and efficient team whilst maintaining our friendly, inclusive, and collaborative culture.
We Love What We Do. Our co-founders’ passion for Accredible’s purpose has permeated throughout our organization...and it shows in our culture, our product, and our customer service.
You’ll be helping to build and maintain a back-end API that serves over 250,000 new users per month and over 1,500,000 requests per day. Our customers expect reliability, stability and speed. You’ll be pushing updates every day to improve our codebase and be able to see instant feedback from our customers & users.
We use Ruby on Rails and PostgreSQL on top of a few AWS services. Our approach is Agile, test heavy and we push releases as soon as they’re ready, typically more than 10 a week.
Our FE is built using Angular and we host all our properties on Netlify and AWS.