Head of Engineering
We are building tax and financial services for the gig-economy workforce in Latin America. We are focused on financial stability and building a community. We are in growth mode, that means everything you do has an impact. We are building fast and will be creating bold/amazing things so we encourage making mistakes and learning from them.
We've reached so far:
- Over 60k have signed up
- We've delivered more than 15k declarations
- We have official partnerships with the biggest gig economy companies in LatAm: Uber, Uber Eats, Rappi, Cornershop. More coming our way!
- We have a beautiful app with thousands of active users. Pretty cool, right?
What benefits would you enjoy by working with us?
- Unlimited vacations policy. Yes, unlimited vacations!
- One extra day off each month (we might even want to force you to take it :) )
- Stock options within your compensation package
- A very competitive compensation package that includes health and life insurance
Some of the values that best describes us:
- We are customer obsessed
- We all have an entreprenurial mindset
- We value ideas over hierarchy
- We act like owners
- We do the right thing!
- We act like missionaries not like mercenaries
All of this resonates with you? Apply to our open roles now 🔥
Skills: C++, Java, Kubernetes, SQL, Data Modeling, PostgreSQL, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
At Heru we are transforming the tax and financial space for thousands of independent workers in Mexico and we are looking for our head of engineering. A person that will have the responsibility to lead a team of pure rockstars with great potential and diverse backgrounds working in backend and frontend development, as well as guide our technology efforts according to our business goals.
We are a dynamic and early stage team where anything you do will have a direct and massive impact in the business, where you learn by the minute, and where the culture is the thing we care about the most as a team. Keep on reading to learn more about the role and benefits!
The Head of Engineering is responsible for leading the frontend and backend development teams and will be reporting directly to the founders. She is also responsible for driving the vision, design, strategy, and implementation of integrated tech systems in order to support the business.
The Head of Engineering leads the development teams and collaborates with other business departments in operations, sales, marketing, and finance in order to roll out new tech systems and implement the ongoing process improvements of the current systems.
- Lead all tech system development projects with the backend and frontend teams.
- Collaborate with the different teams across the company to ideate and build technical solutions that will have a direct impact in our users and business-
- Lead, manage, and mentor the engineers in the team ensuring they will thrive individually in their roles, as well as a team.
- Supervise the different projects the developers are working on to ensure excellence and timely delivery.
- Anticipate potential threats related to our tech stack, infrastructure, and development projects against our business goals and address them accordingly with actionable plans-
- Analyze, segment, and prioritize the different development necessities of the company in collaboration with the product team.
- Ensure the optimal application of engineering resources in order to meet product development and consumer requirements.
- Provide technical guidance and direction, as well as hands-on resource and project management, for all site/software development activities.
- 6+ years working in software development from which at least 2+ must be comprised of proven managerial experience.
- Wide experience working as a full stack engineer. Specialization in either development area (backend or frontend) is accepted but proficiency working in both is a must.
- Demonstrated experience in the management of a frontend or backend team through cross-functional projects and recording project progress.
- Proven track-record of consistent project delivery, and designing and developing complex, interactive consumer sites/software.
- Vast experience building consumer and developer facing products and services as well as the deployment of APIs.
- Vast and proven experience in agile development practices.
- Fluency in english is a must since interaction with high level stakeholders including C-level executives, investors, and foreign partners will be necessary.
- Extensive experience or certifications developing and deploying cloud technology is a huge plus. Specially AWS cloud computing programs.
- Effective written and verbal communication
- Excellent analytical and problem solving abilities
- Results orientated with ability to plan and deliver against project deadlines
- Exceptional leadership skills
- A collaborator and team player by nature
- A person that is capable to lead by example
- A person that is capable of inspire and motivate not only his team but the other teams he gets to collaborate with across the company
- A person that is not afraid of raising his hand and letting his ideas and proposals be heard, even if they might feel out of his scope
As a true tech company we are obsessed with the technology and product we are building. We are working relentlessly to improve our tech stack by continuously iterating over it while adding new and novel technology that can really take us to the next level.
Our tech stack in the backend is developed primarily with Python. Our frontend stack is mostly developed in React and React Native (we support iOS and Android). Our cloud infrastructure is built on top of AWS and we are using K8s for auto scaling.
What are the challenges we are looking forward to?
- Machine learning modeling for our tax calculation model 🔥
- A more robust DevOps infrastructure. Everything's up for the grabs, up to you to propose and experiment with us!