Product: A collaborative no-code tool for mobile marketers to deliver content and get feedback from within their apps. Greenfield native development. Technical challenges and ownership abound.
Company: Small team of 4, all working on product. Fully funded. Competitive compensation & equity reflected.
Growth: Multiple new deals every week.
Skills: iOS, Swift
We make it easy for marketers at mobile app companies to ship screens, flows and entire features without a single line of code. Non-technical team members can deliver notifications and collect feedback from users without the need for engineering input or App Store approval.
If you join us now, you’ll be:
- With us at the very beginning (expect to be compensated with equity accordingly). We already have funding, customers lined up and are working closely with them to publicly launch our first version of the product in September.
- Trusted with owning large parts of the product. We have purposefully kept to a small team of 4 - we enjoy having an outsized impact. This will mean that you will be responsible for large parts of the product.
- Expected to contribute heavily to the future of our company. There will be plenty of opportunities to shape our culture, roadmap and future hires.
Skills & Experience
We are looking to hire an iOS mobile engineer who:
- Would like to work primarily on a new mobile SDK built with the latest language support (Swift / SwiftUI)
- See themselves as “product” engineers. We place crafting a great experience for our customers and their end users above all else
- Appreciate clear, written communication
- Enjoy figuring big technical challenges out for themselves and owning large parts of the product
- Are willing to get involved in aspects of the company outside our codebase
- Care deeply about pushing the quality of our engineering, security and processes being world class
Who we’re looking for:
We hire for the slope, not the y-intercept but you will need to have experience in at least some of these areas:
- 3+ years experience building iOS apps or SDKs
- Have done a CS degree, bootcamp or taught yourself online (we don’t care where you’ve come from)
- Experience with React Native or Flutter
- A strong attention to the UI/UX. You should not feel like stopping until it looks as great as the designs
- A bias for action. You like to move quickly and are able to prioritize
Things you might find yourself working on:
Eventually, you'll be responsible for making sure that our mobile SDKs are performant, animations buttery smooth, and features work on both platforms equally well but
- Adding new trigger types or modals to our existing SDKs
- Figuring out how to support backwards compatibility for customers using Objective-C
- Spiking out the implementation of a Flutter SDK
- Debugging a push notification issue for a VIP customer
- Learning how to prefetch images to ensure buttery smooth loading of screens
You'll be joining our team of four (Romy - CEO, David - CTO, Eoghan - Head of Design, Devin - Founding Engineer).
Our journey began as part of the Y Combinator S19 batch. We’ve since gone on to raise an impressive seed round by some pretty great investors (they were some of the first people to invest in the likes of Calm, Revolut, and Figma).
While we take the opportunity in front of us very seriously we make sure to enjoy the journey along the way.
How do I apply?
We’re interested in learning about your an your experience so please include a short paragraph about yourself as well as anything that might help us learn more about you. This might be:
- Your CV
- A link to your LinkedIn
- The code on GitHub for a side project you built
- The most impressive or difficult thing you ever worked on
- (anything else you think is relevant, these are just ideas!)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What does the interview process look like?
We’ll get back to you within a day. If things move forward, we’ll start with a phone call, followed by a short technical project, some pair programming and a chance for you to meet the team. We’re flexible on the process and have in the past done short term contracting when it’s suited candidates better.
Can I work remotely?
Yes. We have no official office and are already spread across three timezones from GMT to PST. We put very intentional effort into making our remote culture work and are excited to meet up in person once Covid allows.
What’s it like working for a startup?
Being a small nimble team is a blessing and a curse. The main difference is that when something goes wrong, there’s no one else to call. It's up to us to fix it.
While we do have some friends and mentors that we call on, it often boils down to ingenuity and perseverance to get to the bottom of things, sometimes that can mean working long hours.
This can be one of the bigger shocks to the system after working in a bigger organization. You will have to build a muscle for self-sufficiency and learning quickly.
What can I expect in terms of compensation?
We aim to compensate fairly given the small team size and are able to do so thanks to our funding. We can always talk about it more but compensation will always depend on seniority / experience and is split between salary and equity. We review compensation every six months.
We also pay for healthcare. And organize regular team lunches / offsites
What’s unique about this role?
This role will give you a look at what it's like to try and build a new product and start a company. We have the funding part sorted, so it's relatively safer than trying to start something yourself.
Worst case scenario, you get to learn from the mistakes we make together. If you have the ambition to start your own thing, then this could be a great experience for you. There won't be any guardrails to slow you down.
If we succeed, then you'll have the opportunity to grow with the company. If your ambition is to become a leader within a bigger organization or to stay as an individual contributor, you'll have plenty of opportunities to learn by doing.
What if I have any other questions?
Email david at monaru.io, he’ll be happy to help out.
- iOS (Swift, SwiftUI)
- Android (Kotlin, Jetpack Compose)
- Ruby on Rails
- React Native