ExcepGen is a venture-backed, early-stage biotechnology company located in San Francisco. The company is harnessing synthetic biology to solve fundamental underlying problems in drug discovery and applying those solutions to create a new generation of therapeutics.
We are seeking a resourceful Scientist to join our interdisciplinary team to play an integral role in developing and validating our core technology with a focus on vaccines and gene therapy. The Scientist will drive several early-stage R&D projects in the lab related to core technology development, patent expansion, and proof of concept experiments demonstrating the applicability of our novel technology towards vaccine development, while potentially supporting other therapeutic programs as needed.
As a small company, ExcepGen offers a unique opportunity to take on early responsibility in a Scientist role with the possibility of additional independence and leadership as projects mature. The Scientist will work under the direction of the Project Lead and in collaboration with the greater scientific team to independently design, execute, and analyze experiments in the lab and contribute intellectually to both short and long term experimental planning.
• Independently design, execute, analyze, and communicate results from experiments to evaluate applications of ExcepGen technology, in close collaboration with Project Leads
• Establish key experimental workflows and develop assays, as needed, to support pre-clinical studies and technology development
• Actively participate in therapeutic development efforts by contributing ideas and feedback in a team-based environment that values curiosity, rigor, and data-driven decisions
• Help support key general molecular and cell culture laboratory functions and maintenance as a member of a small, but growing team
• Maintain up to date knowledge of the relevant scientific literature
• Carefully document work, interpret results, and effectively communicate them with the scientific team
• Contribute to the publication of results in scientific manuscripts
• PhD in biology sciences, e.g. molecular and cell biology, immunology, biochemistry or related field
• Deep knowledge and experience in either immunology, virology, microbiology, immuno-oncology, or vaccines
• Experience in a wide range of molecular and cell biology techniques and assays used in immunology, virology, and other related therapeutics research
• Demonstrated ability to connect ideas from different areas of science to come up with creative concepts or solutions
• Eagerness to learn new experimental assays and areas of biology
• Creative mindset and ability to break the box that most people think in
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Desire to work in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment
Nice to Have:
• 1-3+ years Post-PhD experience (Postdoc or Industry)
• Prior experience in therapeutics development
• Experience managing in vivo studies at CROs
• Proficient in multi-color flow cytometry
• Small animal handling