Protocol Labs is an open-source R&D lab. We build protocols, tools, and services to radically improve the internet. Our products serve thousands of organizations and millions of people.
Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, Sourcecred, and many more. Today, we are focused on the Web3 space. Our projects center on distributed systems, cryptocurrencies, cryptography, and game theory. Long term, we hope to establish a lab capable of repeatable innovation, and we aspire to R&D breakthroughs that make human existence orders of magnitude better.
We are a fully distributed company. We have over 100 team members, we work with thousands more in open source, and we collaborate with 100+ organizations.
See our projects: https://protocol.ai/work/ and our labs: https://research.protocol.ai/
Protocol Labs is seeking an Assistant Controller to oversee our global financial statement close process and support other key financial operations. You will be a finance leader reporting to the Corporate Controller. You will partner with stakeholders across the company in a dynamic and fast-paced environment to develop and execute initiatives that will streamline, automate, and improve the accuracy of the close process. You will play a crucial role in ensuring we continue to build a world-class accounting function while partnering across the business to ensure our systems and processes are running smoothly.
About Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs is an open-source research, development, and deployment laboratory. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, lip2p, and many more. We aim to make human existence orders of magnitude better through technology.
We are a fully distributed company. Our team of more than 100 members works remotely and in the open to improve the internet — humanity's most important technology — as we explore new advances in computing and related fields.
As an Assistant Controller at Protocol Labs you will...
- Lead the day-to-day general ledger accounting activities, including reviewing journal entries and account reconciliations for both fiat and crypto accounts.
- Oversee the monthly financial close process. Owns the GL and recording of all business transactions, including detailed analysis and reconciliation of all general ledger accounts, fiat and crypto.
- Ensures team deadlines for month-end close and financial reporting requirements are met and in accordance with accounting policies and standard operating/controls.
- Perform and/or review month-end financial statement analysis and flux commentaires. Attend monthly P&L review meetings, provide input regarding financial matters, and assist the Controller to identify issues early and assess their financial impact, if any.
- Support the accounts payable team, overseeing and processing routine department activities such as initiating payments and wires, to ensure that they are completed accurately and on time.
- Prepare and monitor reports for daily cash positions and ensure adequate liquidity.
- Lead continuous improvement in the areas of accounting operations and financial reporting process/systems to increase automation and scale
- Participate in cross-functional continuous improvement projects. Documents proposed process improvements, leading to an improvement in operational accounting performance
- Assist Corporate Controller with the development and maintenance of internal control structure, including developing, implementing, and maintaining global policies and procedures
- Partner cross-functionally with Finance Operations, Technical Accounting, Tax, Legal, FP&A and Crypto Operations to execute strategic initiatives
- Work closely with Corporate Controller to prepare regulatory reporting in US as required
- Assist with review of payroll and related journal entries and reconciliations
- Timely response to ad hoc requests from team members, operations and management.
- Support Corporate Controller with ad-hoc projects
- Collaborates with Corporate Controller and other organizational team members to support overall department goals and objectives.
You may be a fit for this role if you have…
- 6+ years of progressive accounting experience, including 2+ years of management experience
- Bachelor’s or Master's Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field, CPA license is preferred (active or inactive)
- Strong background in US GAAP, business processes
- Preferably some years of audit experience
- Background in accounting for financial services, fintech, banking, or an exchange strongly preferred
- Collaborative, innovative, flexible, and adept at building relationships across the organization
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced, dynamic environment while maintaining accuracy and delivering against deadlines
- Experience or knowledge of cryptocurrencies is a plus
- Diligent, process-driven, and strong attention to detail
- Experience with Enterprise ERP systems
- Direct professional experience with blockchain and cryptocurrency
- Experience with Google Suite of Products
- Experience working at a high growth startup
- SOX and / or SOC experience
- Experience working with and/or implementing blockchain accounting software (ie. Lukka Tax, etc)
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.