Senior Product Designer
$120k - $140k •
At Numero, we build software that powers our democracy. Running for office is hard work – the outdated software that runs campaigns makes it even harder. We believe it doesn’t have to be that way. That’s why we built Numero, a modern financial platform that Democratic elected officials and candidates at all levels of public office can use to manage the $4.5 billion in annual contributions to their political campaigns.
Our mission is to change that painful process and liberate hard-working candidates, campaign staff, and volunteers, letting them focus on their most important work: talking with voters and representing their constituents in their communities.
In our first two years, we’ve already helped more than 200 campaigns raise $832 million. And there’s much more room for us to grow. The US has more than 500,000 elected officials, and many more candidates run for office at all levels of government.
We’re a team of technologists, software engineers, and financial professionals who previously founded several startups and managed a run for Congress. Our CEO, Brian, served as a Senior Tech Advisor in the Obama White House, taught at MIT, and co-founded one of the largest phone companies in Nicaragua. Our CTO, Karan, oversaw the technical infrastructure of 80 campaigns and is a 3x startup CTO. Our CFO, Susie, was the Corporate VP of Finance & Accounting for AECOM, an 87,000-person company. Our founders all worked together on a campaign (Brian's run for Congress in 2018), learning firsthand the painful process of manually stitching together critical finance and donor data using outdated campaign software.
We’re backed by Y Combinator, Initialized Capital, 776, and prominent angel investors including the co-founders and leaders of Instagram, Reddit, Codeacademy, Netflix, and WIRED.
We believe our democracy is strongest when it’s represented by the diversity of our country. Similarly, we believe the strength of our company will come from the diversity of our employees – that's why we've worked hard to ensure that our cap table is fully diverse and that half of our angel investors are women. If you share our values and enthusiasm for strengthening our democracy, you’ll feel at home at Numero!
Skills: CSS, Wireframing, Figma
For the past 2 years, we’ve been building our core suite of campaign tools and learning from users how we can best meet their needs.
Now, we’re looking to hire a Senior Product Designer to lead every design-related aspect of the business as we continue to grow. That role includes, over the next 24 months, designing four major new products to complement our existing suite of campaign finance tools.
We’re looking for someone to work closely with the three co-founders and some of the top political candidates and campaigns in the country to design these products.
Within the first month, here’s how you’ll learn about our products and customers:
- Joining product sales demos to see why our customers buy our products
- Working with our customer success team to understand where our current product design choices fall short
- Recommending design updates to our current products based on your learnings from our candidates, sales, and customer success team
- Collaborating with the CEO on the marketing website and sales collateral
Within the third month, here’s how you’ll be designing your first major product:
- Sharing your initial design thinking with the co-founders by stating upfront the design goals and user flows you are solving for and verbalizing why certain choices were made, including the pros/cons of any alternatives you considered
- Showing prototypes and high-fidelity visuals to our customers to get their feedback
- Ensuring everything we build feels effortless to use and creates moments of delight
- Collaborating with the engineering team to translate between the user needs and the technical realities to ensure high-quality implementation
Within the sixth month, you’ll have standardized our UI design system across our products and begin work on our second major product.
You relish the responsibility that comes from being part of a small team where you’re the only designer. You also love the idea of getting a front row seat for what it takes to grow a seed stage startup backed by some of the top investors in Silicon Valley.
You’re the perfect fit for this opportunity, given your robust skill set that includes the following:
- Strong systems thinking, information architecture, and interaction design skills
- Affinity for consistency, color use, typography, and layout
- Keen eye for subtle details developed from working in larger startups and a desire to apply those skills to a fast-growing startup
- Design stack expertise with fluency in Photoshop, Illustrator, Figma, and other design and prototyping tools
- You might also have engineering knowledge and the ability to write HTML/CSS, even if it’s not required.
Your ideal job gives you the autonomy to lead projects while working directly with co-founders who provide regular feedback and mentorship.
Most importantly, you have a strong sense of your place in history and want to make an impact on the most important election in modern times.
What We Offer
We are a small, tight-knit, and diverse team building products that are used every day by some of our country’s most important elected leaders and their staff. In addition to offering challenging projects and rewarding work, we offer competitive salaries and generous equity.
We know that early employees like you are taking a chance on us as much as we are on you, so we compensate you accordingly. We also want to empower you to do the best work of your career. To do that, we provide the following benefits:
🏖 Flexible PTO (including a minimum of two weeks of required leave each year)
🏥 High quality medical, dental, and vision benefits
🐣 Eight weeks of paid parental leave
💻 Premium tech setup with your choice of laptop, monitor, accessories, and headphones
🏡 $500 for your work-from-home setup (we currently work remotely).
You’ll also have the opportunity to work closely with our founding team and angel investors who have deep experience at the intersection of politics and technology.
To apply, send us a link to your LinkedIn profile, portfolio, and short 3-4 sentence answers to each of the following questions:
- What is most appealing to you about this opportunity?
- Why do you want to work at Numero and not somewhere else?
- What bothers you about campaigns (as a voter, donor, volunteer, or campaign staffer) and how would you leverage working at Numero to fix it?
- A description of a well-designed experience you had recently, and what made it great?
- A time you taught yourself a new skill to complete a job or project?
- A link to your design portfolio.
What We're Building
Every feature of Numero is built from the ground-up with deep empathy for our users. We get their pain points because they were our pain points.
Our core product is a CRM software suite that has developed a cult-like following of customers who clamor to beta test the newest features (and even ask to buy Numero merch). This suite of software includes a CRM, a CRM-connected mobile app, payment processor, referral tracker, and event management system. Some of the exciting projects we’re working on include:
- Algorithms to match and cleanse contact data to help our clients manage relationships and stay compliant with campaign finance limits.
- A custom querying language (dubbed “NumeroQL”) that enables flexible real-time search, allowing campaigns to quickly generate lists and reports.
- Secure data pipelines that import and standardize contribution data to give our clients a real-time snapshot of their fundraising performance.
- Calltime Mode™️ that enables candidates and their staff to effortlessly coordinate donor outreach and fundraising while working together and on the go.
- Standardized integrations with third party platforms, enabling our customers to flexibly manage their data across all the tools that they use.
What Tools We Use
We're built with a Ruby/Rails + GraphQL API backend that serves data to TypeScript, React, Apollo frontends for both our web and mobile app (built with React Native). We write just enough tests to find greater peace of mind 🧘 using RSpec (Ruby), Jest (React), and Cypress (end-to-end).
We’re hosted on Heroku and monitor performance using Scout, Rollbar, and PgAnalyze. We also built and maintain a data pipeline to process and load millions of rows of data from CSV files into an Elasticsearch instance for easier filtering and searching.
We're also deeply integrated with a host of third-party APIs and services that enable us to grow our product offerings to clients.