$90k - $140k •
Research suggests that loneliness is as detrimental to our long-term health as smoking a pack of cigarettes a day and increases our likelihood of mortality by 26%. The group that Revel serves—women above the age of 50—is at particular risk of feeling socially isolated due to the many transitions that can happen at this age (empty nesting, downsizing, divorce, separation, retirement). Our mission at Revel is to help each Revel member meet friends and genuine connections, in the real world, so that she remains healthy, empowered, and thriving throughout midlife.
About one sixth of the U.S. population (50 million women) is a women of Revel age. The opportunity before us is to leverage technology to serve this population at scale.
Work with smart, passionate people. Make cool stuff. Learn every day.
Revel is growing a diverse and inclusive team of curious, creative people who love building the modern community for women over 50.
We’re looking for thoughtful problem solvers who are passionate about development.
Revel is building a web platform and mobile apps helping women to meaningfully connect with each other worldwide. We are backed by Forerunner Ventures and Y Combinator and was recently named one of the Most Innovative Companies of 2020 by Fast Company. We are a remote company, and everyone either works-from-home or a co-working space.
Revel is looking for a maker and a doer. As a software developer at Revel, most of your time will be spent developing the Revel platform and creating tests. But you'll also participate in the entire lifecycle: Research, Design, & Planning, project management, technical documentation and user testing with our members, etc.
Building technology that facilitates friendship for our unique demographic brings unusual challenges. Revel developers work together as a small remote engineering team in close collaboration with our product manager, designer and tester. Together, we create products for our members and staff, from the idea phase through launch and beyond.
Engineering Best Practices
- Write clean, logical, high-quality code and adopt test-driven development and Agile practices.
- Stay up to date on new technologies and approaches to software development.
- Adopt a pragmatic approach to time management with regard to project tradeoffs (e.g., refactoring vs. new feature development).
- Contribute to technical documentation as needed.
- Flexibility working on either side of the JS-focused stack.
- Have a product mindset, demonstrating empathy with our users and a keenness to engage with them when designing new products (note that we are not looking for a product or project manager)
- Get up to speed on existing products, technology stack, and the bigger picture.
- Pair with other team members to transfer knowledge and experience gained.
- Possess a kind and curious approach to collaboration at Revel.
- Understand that mentorship is a two-way street; we can all learn from one another.
- Be comfortable working on a team with members of varying levels of experience.
- Participate in the Agile project flow providing solutions and feedback in all areas.
- Work with the product manager and team lead to define and prioritize work.
- Find success when requirements aren’t clearly spelled out.
- Adapt to changing project circumstances.
Why join Revel?
Revel is a great place to do awesome work. At Revel, you'll:
- Join a tight-knit group of an incredible, diverse range of people working in an atmosphere of friendship, exploration, and respect.
- Work on a variety of web & mobile features that help connect women around the world, virtually and in-person.
- Be part of a transparent, female-founded company that's active in making the software community stronger, smarter, and more diverse.
Receive great benefits, including a competitive salary, support for professional development, schedule flexibility, a remote office stipend (to create your perfect home office setup), parental leave, health insurance (US only), and unlimited vacation time.
If you're a hard-working, curious, thoughtful person who wants to create great software, consider Revel.
We'll get back to you within a week of receiving your application.
The Technical Problems We’re Solving
- Data Aggregation and Matching: We are gathering and structuring our data so that at scale, we can guide her towards the Revel events and Revel members who are the best match for her personality, life stage, and interests.
- Using Data to Optimize Ease of Community, Connection & Friendship: In addition to using data to match members to one another and events (the who and the what), we will be using data to understand and perfect the art of the how to bring people together to build and deepen interpersonal connections and community (number of people to a group, combination of tenure of membership, type of event for which stage of her Revel lifecycle).
- Enabling Operations: As a company, we’re constrained only by the number of events we can operationally support; we’re building a platform with high uptime and scalable resources so that any member anywhere can have a 6-out-of-5 experience attending or hosting Revel events.
- UX for a Unique Demographic: Our goal is to create an amazing UX that feeds a virtuous cycle of user behavior; our UX solutions need to be thought through for our target demographic in particular, and may looks slightly different than what has worked for existing platforms and their users.
Our stack is Node.js/PostgreSQL on the server and React on the front-end