Backend Engineer (TypeScript)
Hellosaurus is reinventing children’s programming for touchscreen audiences with the most advanced interactive video platform ever built for kids media.
Rooted in early childhood education principles of engagement, with a belief that children’s content should leverage mobile device capabilities so kids play instead of just watch, Hellosaurus is developing software tools for creators of high-quality kids programming to make truly participatory shows and a single distribution platform to share these creations with families everywhere.
We are a small team based in New York City and have worked on companies like HQ Trivia, Toca Boca, Google, Apple, and Sesame Street. We are backed by top investors and are currently a member of Y Combinator's summer batch (YC S20).
We are looking to grow our founding team with folks who are passionate about building magical technological experiences that make kids feel active, smart, and powerful, all while having fun.
Your mission (should you choose to accept it)
- Work closely with our Founding Full Stack Engineer to build, maintain, and own the API that powers all Hellosaurus services.
- Exercise a high degree of autonomy and technical authority on a team that trusts you to do what's right for our users but is there to support you when you need it.
- Spend most of your time heads-down, architecting and implementing solutions in a meeting-light environment optimized for deep work.
- Help mature an early-stage startup's codebase by following and introducing best practices related to testing, security, performance, documentation, observability, and maintainability.
- Work iteratively to bridge the gap between the team's long-term architectural vision and the short-term needs of the company and our users.
- Work however you work best: we're entirely remote right now, but you'll have the option to work from our New York office once it's safe to do so. That said, you'll be most successful in this role if you work between EST and PST time zones.
- You have experience building and maintaining TypeScript backends at scale. Bonus points for building APIs that support mobile apps!
- Though you could work across the stack, you're most energized by solving problems on the backend. (You might even enjoy getting your hands dirty with a little infrastructure work.)
- You can envision and communicate an ideal architecture, but you also know how to cut scope and work iteratively when it's prudent to do so.
- You enjoy solving complex technical challenges in a way simple enough for an intern to understand and build upon. You avoid introducing complex, novel, or "clever" solutions. You write code for humans, not for computers.
Our web content management system, which empowers creators to transform their passive programming into participatory experiences, is currently built in Node.js, TypeScript, and React.
Our mobile app, which gives kids and parents a one-stop-shop for truly interactive content that — by way of being active instead of passive — is not only more fun but also meaningfully better for the cognitive and emotional development of the child, is currently built in a combination of Native iOS frameworks (e.g. Swift, SwiftUI) and Unity.