Business Development Lead
Culture Biosciences grows organisms for biotech companies. We've built the first cloud bioreactor facility. Here’s how it works:
- Our customers are experts in DNA design -- they send us their genetically engineered organisms for testing.
- We grow their cells in our bioreactors to examine the efficacy of different protocols and their effect on yield and productivity.
- Our customers monitor the state of things live via our website. At the end we send them some samples for storage or more custom analysis.
Our customers genetically modify organisms to produce new therapeutics, materials, fuels and foods. We help them quickly run experiments and develop manufacturing processes so they can get their products to market faster. We've built proprietary software and automation systems to make operating our bioreactors more efficient than existing systems. We also provide customers with new software tools that help them analyze and contextualize their data. We are currently serving a number of biotech customers and scaling out our infrastructure.
We are a Bay Area company backed by leading venture funds including YCombinator and Verily Life Sciences. We are made up of mechanical, software, biomedical and chemical engineers who worked previously at Google X, Facebook, MIT, CalTech, Bristol Myers Squibb, and Lawrence Berkeley National Labs. Our team is passionate about enabling high-throughput, reproducible science. We value curiosity, clear communication, kindness, and collaboration. We're also committed to building a diverse team.
We are looking for an experienced salesperson who is excited by the idea of spending most of their time engaging with prospective customers. Your role will be that of a “hunter:” scouting the landscape, identifying targets, and bringing back potential opportunities. Our internal teams will shepherd these prospects through our highly technical sales process, allowing you to focus your time and energy on building relationships to generate new business opportunities.
The ideal candidate excels at and enjoys networking with prospects to build interest in and enthusiasm for disruptive technology. We are looking for you to open doors into companies across biotech industries (e.g biopharmaceuticals, sustainable agriculture technology, alternative proteins, cellular agriculture, renewable materials, and industrial biotechnology) however you can, leveraging technology, conferences, and old-fashioned pavement-pounding. You’ll educate prospects about Culture’s cloud bioreactor platform and software solutions and show them how we can accelerate their R&D while saving them time and money.
What you'll do
- Help define our growing commercial team’s culture and processes, particularly when it comes to how we source and qualify opportunities
- Hunt for, build trusting relationships with, and create opportunities with new customers
- Rapidly prototype and evaluate various outreach and networking techniques to build a scalable, repeatable sales playbook
- Collaborate with our marketing team to inform content creation that answers prospects’ most common questions and concerns
- Work directly with the Director of Business Development to close the opportunities you bring in and receive the support you need to continue growing and learning
In return, we’ll support you by:
- Bringing you up to speed in the domain of biomanufacturing.
- Shielding you from the things that slow you down so you can stay focused on growth
- Support your professional and personal growth and development.
- Providing a low-stress work environment.
- Caring about you as a person and not a “resource.”
- Making ourselves regularly available for guidance, coaching, and collaboration.
- You have at least 5 years of experience in B2B sales, ideally selling a disruptive technology that requires educating prospects.
- You have a proven ability to develop, implement, and execute sales strategies to exceed sales quotas.
- You are an adept communicator. You are able to communicate with diverse stakeholders, ranging from engineers to C-Suite executives.
- You have a wide range of interests and you’re very curious about people.
- You consider empathy, self-awareness, and introspection as some of your core strengths.
- You’re authentic and you don’t feel the need to oversell yourself.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant scientific field is plus. An interest in biotechnology and a willingness to learn about our customers and their work is a must.
About The Role
- Full-time position.
- Expect to travel 50% of your time.
- Based in the Bay Area with remote flexibility - plan to be in our office at least 1 day per week for internal meetings.
- Competitive compensation in the form of salary, equity, and commission.
- Health insurance (PPO), Dental, Vision, and Life.
- PTO: 3 weeks and 10 days of company holidays.
- Parental leave policy: 12 weeks. Full salary paid.
- We offer free breakfast, lunch, coffee, gym, and snacks.
We seek to build a company that promotes inclusion and improves the diversity of our industry as a whole. We look forward to working with colleagues from all walks of life. Culture Biosciences provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants.
Our customers develop transformative bioproducts. We develop technology that helps them accelerate their manufacturing and path to market. Our first product offering is a cloud bioreactor facility that allows biotechnology companies to design, run, and analyze high-throughput bioreactor experiments through our web application. We developed the product first for microbial fermentation and we’re now extending it to mammalian cell culture.
Our cloud bioreactor lab empowers upstream bioprocess R&D teams to develop and scale biomanufacturing processes more quickly and easily. Instead of choosing between the overhead and hassle of maintaining a bioreactor lab in-house or the lack of control and transparency of outsourcing development work, biotech companies now have a better option.
Our tech stack:
- Typescript / React / GraphQL
- Python backend services, control systems, state estimation, statistical analyses
- C++ embedded systems
- AWS, Docker, Github
- Fusion360, Altium
Interesting problems we're tackling:
- Flexible and interactive protocol development
- High fidelity, accelerated simulation of biological systems
- Robotic execution of wetlab assays