Product Manager, BioRender Platform
The Adobe Creative Suite for Life Sciences
Effective visuals and designs give scientists the tools to convey incredibly complex scientific concepts in an unambiguous, universally accessible way. At BioRender, our mission is to empower the world to learn and communicate science faster through visuals. We are passionate about democratizing science communication in order to accelerate scientific discovery.
As the Product Manager on the Platform team at BioRender, you will have the opportunity to collaborate closely with both the CEO and CTO (co-founders) on improving and building upon the current product development process. You will be responsible for the team and features around signup, payments, file organization, collaboration and account management. Your mission will be to build features to make it easy for users (scientists, admins, and more) to use BioRender for their needs.
Areas of focus will include improving signup and payments conversion, building features to increase usage and collaboration, as well as delivering on technical projects like improving SEO and performance of our template gallery.
In your first 30 days, you’ll dive in and really understand everything about the user, the product, the team and the company. You’ll do 10+ user calls, attend sales demos, and shadow our support team. You’ll build out an analytics dashboard and build a mental model of different user personas and their pain points. You’ll learn the ins and outs of the product in your core product area, understand trade-offs we've made up until now and identify areas of improvement. You’ll get to know everyone on your team and their strengths and areas of expertise. You’ll internalize the company objectives, long term business goals and how teams fit together.
Then you’ll begin running standups, grooming the Jira backlog, helping to break down projects, and prioritizing/triaging bugs reported. You’ll be responsible for creating and maintaining the product roadmap for your team and will lead projects of increasing complexity.
After 90 days , you’ll be in complete ownership of the product roadmap for the team and be responsible for product delivery. You’ll own the Jira backlog, the sprints and all agile/scrum team practices.
Our ideal fit is a Product Manager who:
- Wants to revolutionize how science is communicated around the world
- Is on a relentless pursuit to understand users’ needs and build product users are excited to use
- Digs into data and is excited to continuously tweak the product to improve conversions
- Has a strong sense of ownership and will do whatever it takes to make the product and team successful, whether that means writing a QA plan or hunting down the root cause of a user’s frustration
- Lives and breathes project management, likes to lead scrum practices and stay in the weeds: will write Jira tickets, do project check-ins, run meetings and get into the details with the developers
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and loves working on a diverse array of projects that span cross-disciplinary teams
- Curious, loves asking questions, thinks outside of the box, can see behind corners when it comes to edge cases and important details
- Obsesses about continuous product improvement and loves using data and user feedback to drive product decisions
- Understands technical constraints and can get into implementation details with developers
What you bring to the table
- 3+ years of product management experience, ideally at a fast growing SaaS startup
- Successful track record of owning a significant part of a user-facing product and delivering features that customers need, preferably on a web-based product
- Significant experience with scrum practices, including maintaining Jira, working closely with engineering to get features delivered, running agile team practices
- Educational background in life sciences is a plus
- Previous experience working on a SaaS platform is a plus
BioRender is a software tool that allows scientists to accelerate groundbreaking research across the life sciences by reducing the time it takes to visually communicate research from many hours to just minutes while drastically improving outputs. We aim to save scientists over 1 billion hours of wasted time per year so they can spend it performing life-changing medical research, teaching the scientists of tomorrow, and helping people understand the world around them.
An incredible group of investors back us, including Y Combinator, Refactor and some of the most successful life science entrepreneurs in the world. Our customers range from the world’s largest pharmaceutical and biotech companies to the most renowned universities and research institutions.
Our tight-knit group is bonded by its shared commitment to our core values of resourcefulness, curiosity, integrity, empathy and humility. By both individually and collectively embodying these values, we can create clean, powerful, elegant solutions that delight our customers.
We are committed to building a warm, inclusive, and diverse environment. We believe that people do their best work when they feel good, and every member of our team deserves to feel safe, empowered, and supported. To this end, we offer a comprehensive set of benefits, including:
Stock options in a hypergrowth startup - we're growing more than 100% year over year!
Health and dental benefits for you and your family from your first day, including an HSA and extended mental health benefits
Annual professional development budget and regular learning opportunities
3 Recharge Long Weekends per year, in addition to vacation days
Veterinary bill reimbursement program
Regular virtual team events to stay connected
Fast-paced, mission and values-driven environment with highly engaged coworkers
Ideally, you would work onsite at our office in Toronto; however, given the ongoing restrictions brought on by COVID-19, this is currently a remote position. We are open to considering continuing in a remote capacity once restrictions are lifted.
If your interest is piqued, please apply. We'd love to hear from you. Also, be sure to check out other listings on our Careers page.
BioRender is an equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors.
About us: BioRender is a fast growing seed stage SaaS startup based in Toronto. We’re creating the standard visual language of biology and the suite of tools to communicate it. We’re a team of passionate engineers, science illustrators, designers and entrepreneurs and are backed by an incredible group of investors including Y Combinator. We nerd out on cool science stuff and solving big problems.
Problem we are solving: Each year, biomedical researchers waste over a billion hours trying to communicate their research by drawing complex biology figures using tools like PowerPoint. At BioRender, our mission is have every visual representation of biology made and communicated with our tools. We reduce the time it takes scientists to create visuals from hours to minutes while drastically improving the quality. BioRender is used around the world by over 500 institutions including Stanford, Harvard, Genentech and many more of the best research institutions in the world.
Onsite, remote considered for candidates with expertise in web-based collaboration / data visualization products.
Office location: downtown Toronto