The Adobe Creative Suite for Life Sciences
Effective visuals and designs give scientists the tools to convey incredibly complex scientific concepts in an unambiguous, universally accessible way. At BioRender, our mission is to empower the world to learn and communicate science faster through visuals. We are passionate about democratizing science communication in order to accelerate scientific discovery.
This is an exciting, hands-on position with a lot of autonomy and the opportunity to flourish in a leadership role. We are looking for a people leader that has a technical background. The ideal candidate is someone who recently held a hands-on role leading development of a large-scale web application.
Our ideal fit
- Has leadership experience managing and growing high-performing teams
- Is familiar with our stack (React.js, Node.js, MongoDB, Typescript, AWS/Heroku) and has prior experience working on large-scale, UI intensive products
- Motivated self-starter who is dedicated to building scalable software products that users love
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and loves working on a diverse array of projects that span cross-disciplinary teams
- Curious, enjoys asking questions, and thinks outside of the box
- High-reaching, results-focused, and metrics-driven
- Takes initiative and loves solving big problems
- Wants to revolutionize how science is communicated around the world
- Manage 5-7 developers (including hiring, technical mentorship, performance reviews, weekly 1:1s, etc) and own the technical roadmap for the team. Hire and onboard 2-3 more developers within the first 6 months
- Be an advocate for process improvements and promote best practices around scrum/agile process and testing and code review practices
- Facilitate scoping and starting large technical projects that will directly impact hundreds of thousands of scientists around the world
- Guide/coach teams through the implementation of their projects, including architecture, testing, team coordination, code reviews, QA and maintenance. Help them develop and refine best practices
What you bring to the table
- Significant previous engineering leadership experience (including hiring, technical mentorship, performance reviews, weekly 1:1s, etc)
- Prior technical background in web development and/or frontend development (4+ years), and can relate to the day-to-day challenges engineers face
- You've previously worked on - or lead a team that worked on - a large-scale React project or similar framework (Angular or Vue.js). You’re familiar with the process and challenges of web development at this scale
- You know how to guide engineers to solve complex architectural problems, think about tradeoffs and systems design. You have a strong track record of both management leadership and driving results from your team
- You have experience working on a team with a mature scrum/agile process
BioRender is a software tool that allows scientists to accelerate groundbreaking research across the life sciences by reducing the time it takes to visually communicate research from many hours to just minutes while drastically improving outputs. We aim to save scientists over 1 billion hours of wasted time per year so they can spend it performing life-changing medical research, teaching the scientists of tomorrow, and helping people understand the world around them.
An incredible group of investors back us, including Y Combinator, Refactor and some of the most successful life science entrepreneurs in the world. Our customers range from the world’s largest pharmaceutical and biotech companies to the most renowned universities and research institutions.
Our tight-knit group is bonded by its shared commitment to our core values of resourcefulness, curiosity, integrity, empathy and humility. By both individually and collectively embodying these values, we can create clean, powerful, elegant solutions that delight our customers.
We are committed to building a warm, inclusive, and diverse environment. We believe that people do their best work when they feel good, and every member of our team deserves to feel safe, empowered, and supported. To this end, we offer a comprehensive set of benefits, including:
Stock options in a hypergrowth startup - we're growing more than 100% year over year!
Health and dental benefits for you and your family from your first day, including an HSA and extended mental health benefits
Annual professional development budget and regular learning opportunities
3 Recharge Long Weekends per year, in addition to vacation days
Veterinary bill reimbursement program
Regular virtual team events to stay connected
Fast-paced, mission and values-driven environment with highly engaged coworkers
Ideally, you would work onsite at our office in Toronto; however, given the ongoing restrictions brought on by COVID-19, this is currently a remote position. We are open to considering continuing in a remote capacity once restrictions are lifted.
If your interest is piqued, please apply. We'd love to hear from you. Also, be sure to check out other listings on our Careers page.
BioRender is an equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors.
About us: BioRender is a fast growing seed stage SaaS startup based in Toronto. We’re creating the standard visual language of biology and the suite of tools to communicate it. We’re a team of passionate engineers, science illustrators, designers and entrepreneurs and are backed by an incredible group of investors including Y Combinator. We nerd out on cool science stuff and solving big problems.
Problem we are solving: Each year, biomedical researchers waste over a billion hours trying to communicate their research by drawing complex biology figures using tools like PowerPoint. At BioRender, our mission is have every visual representation of biology made and communicated with our tools. We reduce the time it takes scientists to create visuals from hours to minutes while drastically improving the quality. BioRender is used around the world by over 500 institutions including Stanford, Harvard, Genentech and many more of the best research institutions in the world.
Onsite, remote considered for candidates with expertise in web-based collaboration / data visualization products.
Office location: downtown Toronto