Senior Product Manager - Global Partnerships & Expansion (Remote)
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 600 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About the Role
Our subscription business has grown rapidly over the past few years, driven by our investment in high quality content and an enthusiastic user base. To date, our growth has largely been organic and concentrated in our core US and UK markets. We now have a massive opportunity to expand our reach and our subscriber base around the world, and we are looking for a senior product manager to lead that charge from the product side.
In this role, you will work closely with our International business development team to develop a go-to-market strategy for each region and drive the product changes that will enable us to compete in these new markets. You’ll be responsible for identifying and prioritizing the infrastructure needed to enable partnerships, discussing technical implementation with the partner, and working with a cross-functional team to execute, often under tight deadlines. You will also work with our business development teams in North America and the UK on deals that can drive significant business impact in our core markets, often leveraging similar infrastructure. We are excited for you to come in and run - we see lots of room for growth in this area, and there’s lots of opportunity and whitespace for an entrepreneurial product manager.
- Define our go to market product strategy in countries and regions around the world, identifying what aspects of our product can stay the same and what will need to change.
- Work with the business development teams to develop a menu of options to present to partners, from scrappy no-dev options to more involved integrations.
- Identify the best ways to scale our growth and core product infrastructure to support business development initiatives. This could include customizable landing pages, curated content experiences and user onboarding by region, adding new currencies and payment methods, and more.
- Build the infrastructure investments into a roadmap that balances long term and short term considerations and partner deal timelines.
- Lead quarterly prioritization process and present tradeoffs between different approaches and different business development deals across regions to executives, as there will be times when the deals in the pipeline exceed our ability to execute.
- Execute on a product roadmap for business development initiatives in collaboration with Design, Engineering, Marketing, and other stakeholders.
- Lead a highly collaborative, productive cross-functional working group that includes business development team representatives as well as Engineering and other functions.
- Communicate strategy and results to internal stakeholders.
- Understand the competitive environment and stay on top of great user experiences and flows, especially related to subscription signups and third-party partnerships.
- 3+ years of relevant product management experience at a fast-growing consumer company (subscription business is a plus).
- Experience leading cross-functional teams, especially under tight deadlines.
- Experience working with and coordinating a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Experience with third-party partnerships is a plus.
- Comfort with data - analyzing data, deriving insights, and making data-driven decisions.
- Experience developing great user experiences, and an ability to empathize with users.
- Eagerness to try new things and learn - and a willingness to fail.
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.