$87,500 - $160k • 0.01% - 0.03%
At imgix, we are building the "graphics card" for the Internet. We provide image and visual media processing on-demand via a URL-based API. We connect to a customer's existing images (e.g. S3 bucket) and then provide a domain they can use to access those images dynamically, creating any number of sizes, crops, adjustments, and other variants of those images. Think of it like Photoshop's "Save for Web" feature but for a million images at a time.
Skills: Image Processing
imgix is building the future of visual media on the Internet. imgix operates the premier solution to deliver impactful, engaging, highly responsive and super fast imagery to eyeballs around the world. The service consists of a top-tier image delivery platform tightly coupled with imgix's proprietary, on-demand image processing pipeline. It provides customers with great design flexibility while reducing the engineering investment required to serve state-of-the-art visual media. imgix enables our customers to greatly increase the value of their imagery and get back to building awesome things.
imgix is looking for a generalist to join as the first member of its new Developer Relations team. This is an opportunity to help define how this team operates while collaborating with the teams such as Marketing, Developer Tools, Sales, etc. We’re also looking for someone with a passion for cultivating a developer community. You will own the coordination and production of developer-focussed content and will be given creative freedom over the topics and style. You will also own the process of gathering developer feedback and will autonomously decide what customers to talk to, and how that feedback is fed back to imgix. Furthermore, you will help decide what conferences imgix should attend and potentially present there. Finally, you will own the coordination of imgix’s developer support presence across multiple channels, and will decide how to best structure this presence to support the developer community. You will be working with and supporting many teams at imgix.
What you’ll be doing:
- Plan, create, and maintain written, visual, or audio tutorials, articles, and documentation to serve the imgix community.
- Own the developer support presence across imgix, e.g. GitHub, Email, Discord/Slack and design processes to improve the quality of this support.
- Create processes to facilitate feedback from the developer community, and feed this information back to internal teams at imgix.
- Research and evaluate what conferences imgix should attend, and attend these conferences if desired
- Optionally, help with simple fixes and feature improvements to our SDK libraries, and the construction of examples/demos of our SDK projects
What we’re looking for:
- Prior experience writing or producing technical marketing content (written and/or audio-visual)
- Comfortable communicating with clients and third parties, and the ability to uphold imgix’s image and reputation among developers.
- Empathy and passion for developer experience and an interest in building processes and tools that optimise for it
- Desire to build robust and inclusive communities around imgix’s service
- Ability to work autonomously and be comfortable making decisions
Nice to have:
- Prior software engineering experience
- Experience with imgix or image optimisation tools
- Participation or presentation at conferences of any kind
- Experience organising a company’s presence at a conference or event (e.g. meetups)
This is a remote-friendly role that is open to interested parties located roughly in the time zones of UTC-5 to UTC+5. imgix has its head office in downtown San Francisco and you are welcome to work either in the office or remotely. Employee benefits are comprehensive (for US employees: 401k, medical, dental and vision; perks are matched worldwide), perks are generous (catered lunches, paid rides home, the occasional team outing), vacation time is flexible, and salaries are commensurate with experience. We also provide employees with anything they (reasonably) need to be effective in their work: funky keyboards, standing desks, a desk cactus, and maybe even a laptop. The troposphere is the limit.
If you are interested in building the future of visual media on the Internet, submit your resume / CV and cover letter for consideration. Principals only, please. We look forward to hearing from you!
We maintain two separate technology stacks, one designed to perform all of the image processing we do and one for configuring those image processing pipelines for customers. Our image processing infrastructure is built using technologies such as haproxy, varnish, Lua, Go, Objective-C and C++. It handles >100K qps of requests and >10K qps of image renders. Our configuration and customer management stack is built on Python, Mongo, mySQL, nodejs, and Angular.