Machine Learning Engineer at Heron Data (S20)
$70k - $145k • 0.10% - 0.70%
We make it easy for fintechs to give credit to small businesses
About Heron Data
We are Heron Data, a Y Combinator-backed technology start-up based in London, UK.
- Our mission is to build a new standard to understand the financial health of companies
- We currently do this by normalizing and analyzing bank transaction data about a company
- This enables our customers (b2b banks and lenders) to better understand their users, to make faster / more accurate decisions (e.g., lending), and build innovative features (e.g., automate portfolio management)
- We are an established, humble and hungry team from diverse backgrounds and are backed by prominent investors
- We’re an experienced team with background at top tech and finance companies like Facebook, Revolut and Spotify.
- We’re multi-cultural and welcome diversity. Each of our team members was born on a different continent. We make sure everyone feels included in our company events and accomodate all cultural and dietary requirements.
- We graduated from Y Combinator in 2020 and raised a $1.25M seed round. In 2021, we grew from $20k to $500k in annual recurring revenue. As of July 2022 we make over $1M in annual recurring revenue.
About the role
Skills: Machine Learning
We analyse bank transaction data to help other FinTechs make sense of their customers’ data, starting with making it easier for them to give loans to small-to-medium businesses. This helps to solve the credit crunch in Small Business Lending, a $65B industry in the US alone.
We’re an experienced team with background at top tech and finance companies like Facebook, Revolut and Spotify.
We’re multi-cultural and welcome diversity. Each of our team members was born on a different continent. We make sure everyone feels included in our company events and accomodate all cultural and dietary requirements.
We graduated from Y Combinator in 2020 and raised a $1.25M seed round. In 2021, we grew from $20k to $500k in annual recurring revenue. As of July 2022 we make over $1M in annual recurring revenue.
How we work
As an early employee, you’ll get to work directly with the founders and early engineers scoping out greenfield projects that you’ll be able to own end-to-end.
We promote an outcome-focused, low-bureaucracy, engineering-first work environment with an emphasis on delivering customer impact at high velocity.
What we're looking for
We are looking for somebody who is proficient in inference, has basic software engineering skills, but above all enjoys making an impact by building and shipping code and models.
You thrive at solving tough problems, often with ML
- You enjoy breaking down challenging problems into simple & well-designed solutions
- You have knowledge of different inference approaches to solve real world problems - from simple heuristics to more advanced ML techniques
- You are metrics-driven and want to measure the real impact of your work
You enjoy building products and making real-world impact
- You take responsibility over end-to-end deployment of your solutions — from ideation to development to deployment to improvement. e.g., you don't just live in Jupyter notebooks and you do know the basics of what an API is
- You like shipping code frequently, iteratively, and collaboratively; You value MVPs and customer impact over perfectly engineered systems
- You care about reproducibility and good MLOps, e.g., model versioning, experimentation
- You choose the best framework / technology for the task, even if you might have favourites. We work primarily in Python but are always experimenting with what framework enables the greatest performance and delivers the most value
- (optional) You enjoy solving ML infrastructure scale challenges and have deployed models that can handle large volumes and velocity of data
You like to work in an fast-paced, high-growth, team-based environment
- You are entrepreneurial. This means having a growth mindset, finding problems without being told about them, thinking independently about issues and clearly advocating your position, and taking full ownership of your work, even if things go wrong
- You are a team player. You value diversity & inclusion in the workplace, are a helpful teammate, and understand best practices for building products as part of a team e.g., code review / version control
- Friday company lunches (always vegan-friendly!)
- Bi-monthly company retreats to different UK destinations (Brighton and Bath so far!)
- Flexible work from home policy
- Remote December: we go remote for 6 weeks in Dec/Jan to facilitate long home visits or other extensive yearly travel
- Private health insurance through Vitality
- Cycle to Work Scheme
We have 4 core components to our tech stack: frontend, backend, ML, and infrastructure.
- Frontend -- our website and customer dashboard are built with NextJS, using Tailwind and React, and deployed on Vercel
- Backend -- our API is a Python / Flask API. We have a primary kubernetes cluster which serves synchronous traffic, and a queueing system interacting with a secondary kubernetes cluster which handles asynchronous processing. We have a variety of microservices that are written in Python / FastAPI. Everything is hosted on GCP
- For ML, we use a variety of deep learning, NLP, and classification techniques to categorise and do named entity recognition on transaction data. We work with pre-trained NLP models like BERT for text. Models are deployed either as a kubernetes pod or on GCP Cloud Run
- For infrastructure, we are entirely on GCP and express / deploy all of our components in Terraform