Data Analyst (UK - Remote)
What we do
With Prolific, we're changing how research on the internet is done. Katia and Phelim started by building a marketplace that connects researchers (from both Academia and industry) with instant, high quality, global research participants. Now, as a growing team of 17, the bigger vision is to build the most powerful and trusted platform for behavioral research.
Our two-sided marketplace and ambitious growth plans come with many interesting challenges around how to accelerate growth, as we move from running thousands of studies a month, to tens of thousands. We hope to become the go-to infrastructure layer for "human responses" that empowers anybody – individuals, businesses, and governments – to make more evidence-based decisions.
We've recently been part of Y Combinator's Summer 2019 batch, raised seed funding, and have decided to grow and scale the company from London, UK.
How we interview & hire
Our hiring process usually begins with an introductory online interview to help you get to know us better, and vice versa. At this stage, we would like to better understand your motivation for the role, get to know about your interests and personality, and learn about any relevant past experience or skills you might have. If this initial interview is successful, we'd then invite you to complete an assignment (<2 hours, you'll be compensated for the time spent), which will be reviewed by relevant team members. This will be followed by an in-depth, face-to-face interview in London, UK, which will provide an opportunity to discuss the assignment, explore value fit, which incentives you care about, and learn how you would work with the team on a daily basis.
Our core values
Prolific’s values are the fundamental beliefs upon which our business and its behaviour are based. They are the guiding principles that we use to manage ourselves as well as our relationship with customers.
Open Prolific aims to be as open as possible in the way it works, both externally and internally. This means that we put in place policies and practices that bring information out into the open wherever possible. We also support the principles of Open Science.
Thoughtful At Prolific we try to be thoughtful about everything we do. This means that we consider the short-and long-term consequences of our actions and decisions, both for users and coworkers, and society more generally. It also means we value and encourage diversity and inclusion.
Trustworthy Researchers, Participants, and anyone else we interact with should have trust in dealing with us, and in the results produced by our platform. Within our company we strive to be fair in the way we deal with each other and the decisions we make.
Improving human knowledge At the core of Prolific is the aim to improve human knowledge. Every decision we make ultimately works towards this goal.
At A Glance
Us: Default alive startup of 50+ people. Remote team, mainly based in the UK. YC alumni. Creating a web-based platform for behavioural research. 3x yearly growth, all driven by word-of-mouth.
We’re on a mission to connect people around the world to make trustworthy data more accessible and facilitate world-changing research.
You: A mid-level data analyst with a passion for turning data into business and product insights
Location: Remote within the UK (and Europe)
The tools: SQL, Python, DBT, Metabase
£40-60k depending on skills and experience.
As a complex marketplace platform with a strong focus on data, we know we are sitting on a trove of information that can take our product, and world-class research, to the next level. We are looking for a mid-level Data Analyst who will help us utilise our data to give us the important insights we need to make crucial business decisions.
The ideal candidate will be comfortable working with large data sets, and able to use statistics know-how to identify and interpret important patterns in our data. You should have strong experience with SQL and be comfortable with Python. You will have good knowledge of product-driven event and data analytics, and familiarity with using BI tools to communicate your findings.
You will work with our small but excellent team of data analysts, scientists and engineers, where we hope you'll also be a mentor to your team members: boosting the standard of analytics across the team.
What you'll be doing:
- Analyse how user behaviour drives platform growth, and make recommendations on how to allocate resources to improve this growth.
- Improve the quality, the honesty, and engagement of Prolific’s participant pool through analysis of user behaviour and collection of new data.
- Increase the diversity and representativeness of Prolific’s participant pool by ongoing monitoring and analysis of demographics.
This will likely involve some or all of the following:
- Analyse key growth metrics, retention, stickiness, churn over time etc. and determine causal links between product changes and growth. You will work closely with management and use these data to influence key decisions and help our startup grow quickly.
- Use BI platforms, such as Metabase, to create visualisations, segment our user base, and develop dashboards to track key growth, data quality, and demographic metrics over time.
- Develop a clear understanding of our users and intersect this qualitative data with quantitative data and develop a plan of key questions to answer with data.
- Tell a story with data, writing reports that accurately describe what you've done and that summarise any insights you’ve gained and your confidence in your findings.
- Experience writing high-quality analytic SQL, and be confident with Python.
- Understanding of statistical practices and common analytical techniques.
- Experience of product analytics, such as A/B tests, retention and churn metrics.
- Great verbal and written communication skills, as evidenced by presentations and written reports.
Nice to have:
- Experience building production dashboards in a common BI platform (Looker, Tableau, PowerBI, etc).
- Comfortable using Git for version control
- Knowledge of advanced techniques such as machine learning, or multilevel modelling.
- Understanding of marketplace dynamics, behavioural research or or business intelligence.
What we offer:
- Salary negotiable based on experience and qualifications.
- Employee stock options scheme.
- Pension (employer contribution 3% of base salary).
- Flexible working: Work equipment of your choice (paid for by us), and you can work flexibly from home or from our coworking space (also paid for by us).
- Flexible hours: We have core hours of 10am - 3pm (with an hour for lunch), but the rest is up to you.
- Childcare flexibility: Need to pick your child up from school? No problem.
- 25 days holiday per year plus bank holidays (which you can switch with your religious holiday).
- £1000 yearly budget for education, growth, and training.
- Personal growth opportunities and career progression (e.g., learn about the startup ecosystem, mentoring from executive team, learn about psychological science and research methods).
- Open, transparent, and inclusive culture.
- A company committed to carbon offsetting: we donate money in your name each month to plant trees and we offset travel as an organization each year.
- Generous maternity, paternity, and shared parental leave.
If your experience doesn't tick all the boxes but you are passionate about joining us, you should definitely apply! We look for people who share our values and can add to our open, transparent, and inclusive culture.
What We Offer / Our Benefits
Pension (employer contribution 3% of base salary).
Flexible working: Work equipment of your choice (paid for by us), and you can work flexibly from home.
Childcare flexibility: Need to pick your child up from school? No problem.
Comprehensive private health insurance that disregards medical history.
33 days holiday per year (25 days + bank holidays, which you can switch with your religious holiday).
£1000 yearly budget for education, growth, and training.
Personal growth opportunities and career progression (e.g., learn about the startup ecosystem, mentoring from executive team, learn about psychological science and research methods).
Open, transparent, and inclusive culture.
A company committed to carbon offsetting: we donate money in your name each month to plant trees and we offset travel as an organization each year.
Generous maternity, paternity, and shared parental leave.
You can also check out our public Employee Handbook here for more!
At Prolific, we're changing how research on the internet is done. Our co-founders Katia and Phelim started by building a marketplace that connects researchers from both Academia and industry with instant, high quality, global research participants. Now, as a growing team, our bigger vision is to build the most powerful and trusted platform for behavioral research.
We were in Y Combinator's Summer 2019 batch, we've recently closed a $1.4M seed round, over £4M revenue in 2020 all driven by word-of-mouth, we're default alive, and we have very ambitious plans.
The Interview Process
1. Initial Interview - You'll have a 30 - 45 minute interview with two members of the team where you'll have the opportunity to ask about the company and the role, and we'll ask you questions about your experiences and goals.
2. Assignment - There will be a 2 hour assignment that evaluates skills required for the role. You'll be compensated with a £50 voucher for completing the task because we know your time is valuable!
3. Final Interview - The final stage is a 1.5 - 2 hour interview where we'll deep dive into your past experiences, goals, motivations, and skills. You'll speak with two to three members of the team and - as always - have an opportunity to ask questions about the role and company.
Python, Django, Django Rest Framework, Celery, Redis, MongoDB and Postgres, as well as Vue.js on the front-end. For infrastructure we use Kubernetes running on Google Cloud Platform.