Senior Data Scientist
$170k - $180k • 0.50% - 1.00%
Arthena is a YC ‘17 company that quantitatively analyzes, prices, and invests in art. We’re a small but growing team dedicated to helping people make data-driven decisions in the antiquated and inefficient art market.
Skills: Python, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing
Arthena is on a mission to quantify the qualitative. We use machine learning and natural language processing to price art objectively, instantly, and accurately. Through this we develop and deploy a variety of financial instruments and strategies.
We are looking for a Senior Data Scientist with a strong engineering background who has experience managing a team of engineering professionals. In this role, you will collaborate with the business development team to determine engineering priorities and monitor success.
Our data scientists analyze millions of records from decades of past art sales to generate quantitative signals used to drive business decisions. They work closely with software engineers to productionize models and with art experts to incorporate domain knowledge. You will also have the opportunity to test and deploy different machine learning and quantitative strategies to predict the value of fine art in various pricing contexts.
If you are excited about being at the forefront of emerging financial market trends and building products that are within a greenfield then we would love to hear from you!
- Work with our software engineers to refine our data pipeline and productionize models
- Guide efforts to better understand what drives art prices and generate useful signals
- Design hypothesis testing, backtesting, model validation, and data visualization systems
- Incorporate knowledge and algorithms from many different domains
- Design scalable systems and making architectural decisions
- Task-monitoring, sprint planning, and excellent time management
- Mentor junior level data scientists
- Collaborate with leadership to help set team goals and monitor success
Who you are
- 2-3 years of experience working as an engineer
- Managerial experience
- Experience prototyping and deploying machine learning products
- Experience writing production code
- Several years of experience tackling hard data science and machine learning problems with the Python data science stack (at least some familiarity with extracting useful features from numerical, categorical, temporal, image, and text data)
- Software architecture experience
- Intrinsic motivation and the ability to learn quickly
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
The data that we work with is composed of numerical, categorical, image, text, and temporal variables stored primarily in Postgres and analyzed in Docker images on a Kubernetes cluster on Google Cloud. We use the Python data science and machine learning stack: Python 3, jupyter, pandas, numpy, scikit-learn, seaborn, PyTorch, TensorFlow, NLTK, gensim, SpaCy, OpenCV, PIL, and others.
- Published machine learning research
- A portfolio of neural network-based computer vision and/or natural language processing projects
- Experience working at a start-up
- Passion for working with data to solve a unique challenge for a global market
- Business/finance knowledge
Who we are
Arthena is a venture-backed investment and research firm that leverages quantitative-driven pricing to execute on a basket of strategies and financial products related to the art market. As leaders in pricing the $60B+ art market, we understand how important it is to be able to scale and invest in art in an automated fashion. We use our proprietary data to build a variety of financial products for the art market with a fast feedback loop, providing our clients with data-driven insights to help hedge against the underlying risk of this alternative asset class and make educated investment decisions.
Perks + Benefits
- Salary: $170K - $180K (Based on experience)
- Equity: 0.5% - 1.0%
- Unlimited Vacation
- Health Insurance
- Commuter Benefits
- Snacks and team bonding events (Virtual and In-Person)
- Flexible scheduling and option for remote work
Equal Opportunity Employer
Arthena is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Python, Pandas, Numpy, Scipy, Scikit, Postgres, Tensorflow, Seaborn, Matplotlib, D3
React, Webpack, Apollo/GraphQL, Node.js, Postgres, Redis, Mongo, Puppeteer, jsdom, Jest, Express
Google Cloud Container Service, Docker, Kubernetes, Postgres, Redis, nginx