Director of Demand Generation
Armory accelerates software deployment velocity through automation and safety ...while expediting 'time to value' and boosting developer efficiency.
As enterprises move from data centers into the cloud, break monoliths into microservices, and look to deploy workloads to the optimal multi-cloud target environment (and generally move faster, safely), they'll need Armory's enterprise Spinnaker distribution, which enables sophisticated multi-cloud deployment strategies that leverage advanced features like: 1-click rollbacks, automated canaries, certified deployment pipelines, automated load testing, SLA-driven rollouts/rollbacks, red/black deployments, chaos engineering and flexible deployment pipelines.
- Armory is enterprise Spinnaker. We help our customers accelerate their global deployment velocity through automation & safety. Here's an overview.
- Install and use Armory Spinnaker for free
- Our Enterprise Edition includes additional enterprise features & support detailed here.
At Armory, we believe software is the highest leverage way to improve humanity, so we’re building a platform to help software teams ship that software better and faster.
Armory is looking for a rockstar Director of Demand Generation to join our Marketing team at the company headquarters in San Mateo. Reporting to our VP of Marketing, you will own all the demand creation programs, people and processes that boost Armory awareness and deliver quality sales pipeline. This is a critical position that will have direct impact on the accelerating growth of the company building the future of software delivery.
To better understand our vision, please read our manifesto at https://go.armory.io/manifesto. To learn more about our company’s unique culture, read our Tribal Handbook at https://go.armory.io/iterate, and to see what it’s like to work at Armory, take a peek at https://go.armory.io/peek. If you are excited by the future we are creating, and you match up well with what we’re looking for below, please apply.
What you’ll do in this role
Since this is a really strategic role for the company, we’ve been comprehensive in sharing our expectations of you in the job. Here’s what we would like the ideal candidate to do:
Oversee the planning, development and execution of demand creation programs to generate engagement and interest from prospects in our ideal customer profile. Accelerate those prospects through the marketing and sales funnel to generate qualified opportunities that ultimate lead to revenue objectives for the company. Develop and execute an account-based that helps our sales team penetrate the most important enterprise organization.
Specifically, you will build and lead an amazing demand creation function that collaborates well with these adjacent functions:
- Product marketing to ensure consistency of messaging in demand generation programs and to exploit competitive differentiators and optimize account-based marketing programs.
- Content marketing to develop compelling content and calls to action that capture attention of top-of-funnel leads, as well as accelerate opportunities through the funnel. Ensure content and calls to action are aligned with messaging and are mapped to segments, personas and stages in the buyer’s journey.
- Sales for shared ownership of the funnel, for continuous feedback on opportunity quality, to develop and execute on account-based marketing programs and to support regional and national events.
- SDRs to ensure timely and appropriate lead follow-up and to provide aircover and messaging outbound prospecting activities.
- Product management to align demand generation efforts with product launch plans and to engage prospects in trials and demos that validate feature interest.
- Customer Success to execute customer marketing programs that boost loyalty and advocacy, increase renewal rates and drive expansion opportunities.
- Business Development to leverage demand generation campaigns in co-marketing activities.
Additionally, you will be enjoy building multichannel campaigns that engage and activate our target audience through techniques such as:
- Email marketing: develop compelling offers that articulate the value of our solutions and drive interest and are personalized for personas, segments and stages. Build nurturing programs that educate prospects and turn them into qualified opportunities when the time is right.
- Webinars and online events: build a calendar of webinars and online learning programs that showcase the thought leadership and knowledge of Armory experts and those of our partners.
- Content syndication: partner with trusted media providers to showcase our awesome content to a wider audience and create new demand.
- Advertising: use social, display and retargeting to reach our audience, look-alike audiences and visitors to increase awareness, provide air cover and create new leads.
- SEO: coordinate resources and activities to improve organic search performance and onsite conversion rates.
- SEM: utilize best-in-class search marketing approaches to raise awareness, generate new demand, drive engagement and convert visitors.
- Account-based programs: develop a strategy and implement activities that activate and engage target accounts through creative, personalized and multichannel programs.
- Events: develop the overall event strategy and execute flawlessly on a series of tradeshows, conferences, meetups, partner activities and local hosted events that engage our prospects, customers and the Spinnaker community.
After doing all that, take a breath and then establish and optimize the key measures and objectives for demand generation programs to ensure we are allocating our precious resources to the best-performing marketing tactics. Specifically, we’d like you to:
- Measure performance of the marketing mix and run lots of experiments to test and optimize.
- Provide excellent transparency to demand generation results in regular updates to the marketing team and our key stakeholders.
- Share the results of your amazing work in quarterly business review, executive and board presentations.
- Manage the demand generation budget and ensure awesome deliverables from all of our third-party providers, including agencies, freelancers and contractors.
What you’ll bring
- Good working knowledge of the tools in the martech stack, including Salesforce, Marketo, advertising platforms, data providers, intent platforms, content marketing tools and good old spreadsheets.
- Familiarity with building and optimizing account-based marketing programs
- Understanding of buyer’s journey and marketing funnel stages
- Ability to forecast the marketing funnel to ensure campaigns are measured and optimized across the buying cycle and align with sales targets
- A knack for presenting results in consumable formats, including dashboards, reports and data visualizations
- Proven ability to hire, mentor and manage a great team that includes campaign managers, marketing ops, web marketing, ABM and event specialists and web marketers.
- We want you to be a clear thinker and communicator with excellent written and oral communication skills, and a proven problem solver, able to discern the crux of an issue and use good judgement in recommending practical solutions
- First-rate project management, teamwork, interpersonal and relationship management skills; comfort interacting at all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated leadership skills with your team and your peers, resilience in the face of natural change in a fast-moving start up environment and creative skills for envisioning new solutions and approaches
- Ideally, you also have experience at companies commercializing open source projects and/or at companies marketing solutions for application development, IT operations, cloud infrastructure management or DevOps
What we'll provide
- An exciting, fast-paced startup where you can make an impact from day one
- A company that makes decisions based on data but with empathy and where your work makes a difference
- A small but experienced marketing team that welcomes the knowledge and experience you bring and values your contribution
- Amazing enterprise customers that absolutely love the technology and trust it to deliver important results for them every day
- A great leadership team that provides unmatched transparency into the business and welcomes diverse ideas, a growth mindset and critical thinking
Why join Armory?
We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
At Armory, our concept of diversity is broad. We understand that diversity comes in many forms and includes age, socioeconomic status, educational background, ethnic identity and national origin, marital and familial status, gender expression and identity, transgender status, disability status, religious affiliation, sex and sexual orientation, veteran status, neurodivergence, citizenship, and mental health status.
As we build a company that is both diverse and inclusive, we are also working on the way we communicate. There are challenges, stumbling blocks, and failings, but we are committed to learning and improving to make Armory a welcoming company. Here is a blog post from Armory’s CEO sharing his perspective of being an accomplice, and not just an ally in ensuring diversity and inclusion at Armory.
Armory is a Series C startup backed by B-Capital, Insight, Crosslink Capital, Y Combinator (W17), Bain Capital, and Javelin Venture Partners based in San Mateo, CA. We believe software is the highest leverage way to improve humanity. So, we are building a platform that unlocks collaboration between your Dev, Sec, and Ops teams and tools, from Code to Cloud. Built on Spinnaker, our Policy-Driven Deployments enable you to innovate with speed & safety. Our platform automates software delivery to make engineers happy and productive.
- Spring MVC