Lead Designer & Employee #3
Smartcuts is building a new category of productivity software that gives anyone the ability to automate tedious work in minutes. You record your actions just as you would a screencast, and our browser extension turns that recording into an automation you can use and share with others. Here's a 1 minute video showing our product in action.
No product today can claim to be the go-to tool that you reach for when you want to automate anything. Our goal is to be that go-to automation tool that everyone uses.
Our platform will become a universe of discoverable and easy-to-use automations, created and maintained by a community of passionate users. Over time, as a second order effect, we'll have created a crowdsourced engine that constantly maps out the workflows that take place within and between web apps to get work done.
We're currently in private beta and already have paying customers, from individual consumers to well known, publicly traded technology companies.
Smartcuts is founded by the co-founder of Lever and is backed by investors including Y Combinator, SignalFire, HOF Capital, and founders of Firebase, FitBit, HubSpot, Lyft, and Segment. We are a distributed team located across New York City, Shanghai, and the UK. If you are a maker who values craftsmanship and design, we'd love to talk with you.
We are building a new category of productivity software that brings automation to the masses and changes how people interact with the Internet. Smartcuts is a browser extension that aims to be the most intuitive way to empower anyone to automate repetitive work, on any website, without code (1 minute video). As you click and type, our technology turns your actions into automations that can be re-used and shared with the world.
We're looking for our lead designer. Your responsibilities will center on product design. This includes:
- Interviewing users and developing a comprehensive understanding of them and their problems.
- Brainstorming and iterating on new concepts to bring to life.
- Create an elegant design system and framework.
- Generate user flows, wireframes, interactive prototypes, and high-fidelity mockups for our web app and extension.
- Working with our engineering team to help ship these features.
- Design and use the metrics we collect to inform how our product should evolve.
Taking into account the entire product experience, you'll also work on projects that span:
- Refreshing our brand and landing pages.
- Crafting beautiful email templates.
- Overseeing the production of product launch videos.
In short, you will have an important hand in everything we do to craft our product, company, and brand.
What you can expect
- Work directly with the CEO daily to help steer the company and product vision over time.
- Play a core role in developing the brand and identity of Smartcuts.
- Take the reins of a user-centric design for the product.
We use ReasonML, ReScript, Next.js, Vercel, GraphQL, and the serverless db Fauna. Our choices come from a preference for strongly typed, functional languages and for serverless architectures -- choices that allow us to focus on the necessary, not the incidental, complexity of the problem space.
Some of the interesting engineering and design challenges in this problem space?
- How do you design a product that doesn't expose engineering concepts to users?
- How can you design an algorithm that can reliably locate elements on a page, without asking the user to specify css selectors?
- How can you leverage AI to automatically detect and extract structured records from a web page?