Founding Frontend Engineer [Fully Remote]
$90k - $130k • 0.75% - 1.25%
MagicBell is the notification inbox for web & mobile apps.
As consumers of many apps, we have personally experienced the growing volume of notifications - many of which add to our anxiety instead of helping us manage it. MagicBell is on a mission to end this chaos and help every app deliver a stellar notification experience.
We do this by offering a beautifully designed notification inbox that apps can embed in their products in minutes. We do all the heavy lifting related to real-time delivery & syncing, web & mobile push notifications, email notifications, and even notification preference management.
We sit at an interesting intersection of a dev tool & a productivity tool for end-users. We are helping every app make its users more productive! Some of the best startups like Pitch use MagicBell to power their notifications. We are post-revenue and well funded.
MagicBell embraces diversity - one of the founders is a transgender woman, and another a Latino (Hola!). They are experienced programmers and entrepreneurs and have built a successful SaaS business in the past. With a decade of working remotely under their belt, they understand how to work across timezones asynchronously.
We are only accepting applications for the opening(s) below. If you still think you would be a great addition to the team, please help us understand more about you through this form. If you do not fill out this form, then your application will not receive a reply. Thank you.
MagicBell is a B2B SaaS startup addressing the products' notification challenges. We graduated from YCombinator earlier this year and raised $1.9m in seed funding.
- Work with the founders shoulder to shoulder in building the new standard for notifications:
- MagicBell's dashboard that our customers use to set up and manage their experience.
- Embeddable Inbox.
- Hire, attract and onboard other smart engineers.
- Shape the culture of our company to create the next Stripe, Twilio, or your favorite company.
- Be our developer evangelist:
- Our go-to-market strategy involves bottom-up developer adoption. Therefore our entire team is an evangelist for our product - all of us write blog posts sharing what we have learned, and talk to users (we have some of our biggest customers on shared Slack channel). We have also built some fun little hacks to get developer attention, like our Hacker News Chrome extension and Firefox addon.
Please do not apply if you do not meet the below standard
- Have a Github account.
- Worked with React for at least 4 years.
- Willingness to go above and beyond.
- For example, keeping track of new security vulnerabilities that might impact us or fixing customer issues proactively and notifying them.
- Enjoy taking on challenging responsibilities.
- At least a 3 hours overlap with the EST day time from 9am to 12pm.
- Experience in Reactive & functional programming.
- Experience in maintaining an SDK.
- Experience with semantic versioning.
- Working with community PRs.
- Experience building real-time apps that sync across devices.
- Test-driven development and experience with end-to-end testing.
- React Native experience.
- Snapshot testing with Storybook.
- Good writing ability as demonstrated by documentation, README, or blog posts you have written.
- Excellent communication skills in English.
- Respect for other people's time - For example, showing up for meetings on time and not canceling the last minute.
- Want to start their own companies either now or in the future. You get hands-on learning of what building an early-stage startup is like. The founders are prolific angel investors.
We know you want to tackle interesting challenges and we have quite a few for you
- Consider and make suggestions about the UX as you build new features or improve existing ones.
- State management across multiple devices with real-time synchronization.
- Build robust logging and analytics to help our customers understand the flow of their notifications.
- Engineering reliability and performance so we can scale up with our customers.
If you read the entire job description, please list out which of the nice-to-haves you possess in the last question of the application form.
Here are the tools/technologies we use
- Ruby on Rails
- React (with Mobx)
- Docker & Kubernetes
Here are some technologies on our medium-term radar
- Go (for kafka consumers)
- Test driven development with Jest, Rspec and Storybooks.
- An agile(ish) process for product development
- An all-team customer support/success mindset.