Founding Product Designer
Kitemaker builds a faster and more collaborative Jira alternative. We build the natural place to where design, engineering, and product managers collaborate.
It's super fast, has a lot of hot keys, and we put an emphasis on a clean and well designed user interface.
Kitemaker is a startup building a collaboration tool that replaces the traditional issue trackers and project management tools. We're passionate about helping all teams get healthier product development processes, be happier, and build better products. Our dream is to create the most well-designed product development tool in the market.
This is a unique opportunity to join a funded early-stage startup and have a massive impact on our product, culture, and direction. It's a lot of work and a roller coaster ride. But, if you are up for it, you can join us in replacing the most hated software development tools and have a significant impact on our customers.
We're supported by some of the world's leading investors, including Y Combinator, EQT Ventures, and a bunch of amazing angels.
About the job:
- Play a key role in establishing Kitemaker as the industry-leading collaboration tool for product development
- Working cross-functionally with product, marketing, engineering, and other business partners to arrive at the best possible designs.
- Creating flows, prototypes, and high-fidelity visuals.
- Working closely with engineering and founders to ensure high-quality implementation.
- Contributing to the overall strategy and decision-making about product direction.
- Some examples of the types of challenges you'll tackle: rethink how teams and startups can improve their development and collaboration processes; make the onboarding experience exceptional; bring Kitemaker to tablets and mobile; and much more!
What can make you a great candidate:
- Track record of designing and shipping beautiful software.
- A portfolio showcasing a clear understanding of typography, simplicity, interactions, and visual design.
- An ability to frame strong rationales for design decisions that persuade peers and managers.
- UX expertise, specifically in the implementation of prototyping and user testing throughout the design process.
- Any additional skills in illustration, animation, video/audio editing, front-end development as a bonus!
What we look for in people:
- A self-starter mindset mixed with deep enjoyment of collaboration.
- A passion for listening and learning from users; at Kitemaker, everyone talks to users.
- An appreciation for others' feedback to help you improve in your role, the way you work, and how you work together as a team.
- Experience in prototyping and are a good communicator of abstract ideas and concepts.
Diversity is essential for us, and we strive to create a culture where everyone can feel at home regardless of who you are and your background.
- We use TypeScript top-to-bottom. Backend is Node and frontend is React.
- For APIs, we use GraphQL using the Apollo framework.
- Our desktop applications are Electron-based.
- Kitemaker is hosted in GCP. We used CloudSQL Postgres and MemoryStore Redis.
- We're working hard on making Kitemaker offline-first, using ServiceWorkers, IndexedDB and our own internally developed sync engine.
- We integrate to a number of other tools (GitHub, Slack, etc.) and are building a scalable and extendable architecture to support our integrations.