Founding Backend Engineer (Scientific Python)
$130k - $150k • 0.50% - 0.75%
Biodock is a cutting-edge, seed-stage bio AI startup backed by Andreessen Horowitz and Y Combinator (seed blog post here). We are building the future of AI cloud computing for microscopy images, NGS sequencing data, and more. Advances in our technology translate directly to advances in disease understanding and treatment. We give our product for free to academic scientists as part of our mission to accelerate research around the world.
Skills: Python, Machine Learning, Data Analytics
ℹ️ About the Position
Biodock runs AI bioanalysis in the cloud, which users access through our dashboard. We are expanding functionality to process, visualize, and analyze data within our dynamic app, and looking for talented engineers to own the application and drive development with backend engineers from the ground up.
This position says founding engineer. We really mean that. We're a team of 2 founders and 2 contractors right now, so you'd be employee #1 or #2. We're looking for people who want to make a massive impact. You'd build critical features from the ground up, and deliver 5x faster than you have at previous jobs. We're looking for someone who is serious about moving to be with us in Austin, TX, and who can wear many hats.
🔨 What you'll do
- Take full ownership of our Biodock's scientific python backend, all the way to deploys, monitoring, debugging, and overall reliability.
- Work together with full stack engineers to coordinate AI deployment integration with our web application.
- Be exposed to every level of the company, working closely with the CEO to meet business goals and working off customer feedback.
🙋 Who you are
- You’re comfortable with exploring and building a mature application in scientific Python, with 2+ years of industry experience. Or you're just 3X smarter than others.
- You have experience in areas such as parallel computing, distributed systems, image data processing, and performance measurement and optimization
- You have a strong background in computer science with a degree in CS or a related field.
- You are passionate about writing high-impact code, willing to learn new technologies, and have a huge interest in biological research
- You want to work at a top VC-backed company at the earliest stage to help build things from the ground up.
- You're flexible, trustworthy, energetic, and a great communicator
- You're willing to make the move to Austin, Texas, where our home office is located.
- Competitive pay and equity compensation
- Competitive medical, vision, and dental insurance coverage
- 401k account option
- Unlimited vacation/sick leave
- Developer fundamentals: work Macbook Pro, standing desk, headphones/huge monitor/peripherals, office amenities.
- Modern productivity software: Linear (task management), Notion, Airtable, Basecamp, Miro
Our tech-stack is a modern web and AI backend stack
Web (Full-stack JS) - Mongo, React, Node/Express, MobX, Typescript deployed on AWS. Ant Design, TailwindCSS. Backend (Python) - Processing servers deployed on AWS with RabbitMQ queueing, AI API through Cortex GPU clusters deployed on AWS Elastic Kubernetes Service (EKS).