Mission: We build communities.
Surrounded by mountains and water in beautiful Vancouver, BC, we are smart people who like smart people. We create mobile games with a social core that engage players and provoke us with creative new problems.
When we set out to make great games with massive online communities, we knew that we first had to create the ideal environment for building ambitious things. A place where brilliant and inspiring people could come together and build games that make millions of players happy. We realized that we needed to find incredibly talented people and get out of their way. Since then we've paid careful attention to how we like to work together. This is a brief summary of our guiding principles:
OWNERSHIP: We take complete ownership of our work and act in the best interests of the company. We’re the type of people who care - a lot. It’s never “not my job.”
HAVE WONDERFUL ARGUMENTS: We’re comfortable thinking deeply about important issues, and care enough to respectfully challenge decisions when we disagree. Mutual respect and checked egos allow for productive debate and better outcomes than any we would have achieved individually.
*THE BEST IDEAS WIN: *We want everyone involved in problem-solving, regardless of their position. We frequently seek feedback from each other and our players in order to challenge our assumptions, and make data-driven decisions when possible.
KEEP GROWING: We’re always building and improving on our skills and processes. We understand that when we learn, we see exponential improvement in ourselves, our products and our company. We’re never finished learning.
Together our values and mission are the driving force for why ATA exists and how we operate as a team. These cultural foundations are embedded in everything we do, especially in how we hire. We aim to hire people who share our values, believe in building communities and can add to our culture.
Who we are
A Thinking Ape builds communities through mobile games with emergent social play and original IP. We released our first game in 2009 and have been profitable and growing every year since. We are a bottom-up driven company with small teams that have a big focus on ownership and data driven decision making. Our portfolio of games is growing, and with it, our ability to provide for more communities.
As the voice of ATA to our players you will listen to, engage with, and empower our communities as we work together to make amazing games. Our mission is to build and maintain highly engaged communities within our games and as part of the Community team you will be a key contributor to our success.
What will you do as a Community Manager?
- Be at the forefront of communications between ATA and our communities, through in-game forums, help center or social media channels
- Support our players by answering their questions and resolving any issues that may arise through a number of channels including our own custom built support chat, community forums, Discord and more.
- Immerse yourself in the games you are directly responsible for so you’re able to answer almost any question that comes your way (yes that means getting paid to play games)
- Actively investigate, escalate, and address any critical issues that may arise
- Dive deeply into our communities to gather data, feedback and suggestions on features, content and live events
- Champion our most celebrated community members by taking part in our VIP, Beta and Moderator programs
- Create and post content for our social media accounts like Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, Snapchat, etc.
Who you are
Above all else you love to play free to play mobile games and have a desire and commitment to making customers happy. Bonus points if you are an active player in one of our games!
- You have a minimum of 1 year with customer-facing communication
- You are Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite or equivalent
- You have excellent reading and typing speeds (you will be handling a lot of messages per day in an online setting using our internal chat tools)
- You enjoy growing and being a part of online communities
- You enjoy working with people and talking to the public and customers
- In this role you will need deep knowledge of our games so you should like to play our games or another mobile game at a high level
Some other things that help are:
- You have gaming industry customer service experience
- You are considered a pro player in any online game
- You have run a clan/guild in an online game
- You have a bachelor's degree or equivalent
- You have experience writing technical content
- You have an online presence/persona on social media
- You have experience with Adobe Photoshop and other image-editing software
While everyone on our team is different, to thrive here you should...
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail, you experiment and learn from your mistakes
Open availability is required.
In order to meet the support requirements of our communities, A Thinking Ape supports our players seven days a week! While you will only work 5 days a week, you must be available to work on any of the 7 days in a rotating schedule.
We have committed to a remote first approach for 2021 with access to in-person collaboration spaces in Vancouver when safe to do so. Our intention is to use 2021 as the foundational year to develop our remote excellence and help shape the future of ATA. This means our roles are currently open to candidates who can work in Canada between the core hours of 11am - 4pm PST.
What’s in it for you
At ATA you’re offered a flexible, safe, inclusive environment in which you have the autonomy to do your best work, surrounded by a strong team and with the encouragement of supportive leadership that doesn’t just care what you’re doing, but how you’re doing. You’re trusted, respected, listened to, cared for and valued. You take on thought-provoking projects and tackle fun problems alongside people who are equally invested in making meaningful contributions and seeing new ideas come to life. You know how your work aligns with the company’s goals. Your career is given the space and resources to progress. You accomplish things that make you proud. You are compensated competitively, your health and wellbeing are top priorities and you enjoy plenty of perks. You build communities, take ownership, have wonderful arguments, let the best ideas win and keep growing. You don’t just work for ATA, you are an integral part of ATA.
Our commitment to inclusion
We build communities. To do this to the best of our abilities, we need a workforce that reflects the diverse player communities we serve. We believe a variety of perspectives and experiences allows us to make better decisions and understand the needs of our players. We work hard to create an environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best work and feel like they belong at ATA.
Please consider applying even if you don't meet every qualification and let us know if you require any accommodations or support during the recruitment process.
Discover even more
Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today, and learn about our culture by following @athinkingape on social. You can also listen to Kenshi Arasaki, ATA CEO & Co-Founder, talk about what it’s like to work here.
We use a wide variety of technologies to build our games and we try to pick the best tool for the job rather than what we've used in the past.
Our newest games' front-ends are built in Unity (C#), with older games built with many other frameworks including cocos2D, LibGDX, and native Android/iOS. Front-end engineers are focused on prototyping and polishing implementations of new features, optimizing game clients for higher performance, and building internal tools to automate processes across disciplines.
The back-end system is a microservice architecture that is shared across all games. Our back-end stack consists of Django (Python) with a MySQL database. We also make heavy use of a variety of other technologies including Redis, Memcached, Kafka, Docker, Kibana, uwsgi, and HAProxy, among others. Back-end engineers are focused on building scalable systems for massively multiplayer mobile games that will support thousands of concurrent users.