UpCodes provides tools to help architects and developers design safe, accessible buildings that speed through government approval. Inefficiencies and mistakes navigating complex building codes cost companies billions yearly in the US alone. Our SaaS platform enables industry professionals to find, understand, and apply the codes so they can build better.
We are seeking an energetic, talented, and detail-oriented Operations Manager to help scale UpCodes. This role will involve wearing many hats to support the company. As a generalist, you will be involved in areas such as customer relations/success, recruiting, HR, and marketing. You will be at the core of our operations team.
- Supervising 3rd-party finance and accounting teams
- Handling customer support
- Evaluating new software solutions
- Support & creating help docs
- Handling office operations
- Writing copy for user communications
- Executive assistant (scheduling, etc.)
- Accounts receivable
The Ideal Candidate
- Minimum 2-4 years of professional experience.
- Prior experience with one or more of the following: operations, early-stage startups, management consulting.
- You are an extremely organized and detail-oriented person (meticulous), attention to detail is something that comes naturally to you. This is a critical skill for this role.
- Effective communication.
- Someone who isn’t afraid of responsibility and operating in an unstructured environment. Ability to independently execute important projects is a must.
- A good sense of humor and a down-to-earth personality.
- A hustling mentality, no ask should be too small or too big, we are looking for someone who understands that small tasks have a huge impact.
- Python 3
Why Join Us?
Our product is already at 250,000 monthly active users. To put that in perspective, there are ~1.5M architects and structural engineers in the US, so we already have a significant chunk of the market.
This is one of the construction industry's worst problems and we're the only ones solving it.
We're a YCombinator company, backed by Liquid 2 and Foundation Capital. We've been approached for acquisition more than once, but declined because we believe this could become something big.
The work is meaningful. Cheaper construction means more affordable housing, airports, hospitals, schools, etc. Oh and we're fighting the good fight (try googling "Can the Law be Copyrighted?")
We believe the best perk is working with talented colleagues, so we're keeping the team small and experienced / talented.
Create an internal tool that allows contractors to write formulas to identify when a building code section applies for a user's building, so we can help them find relevant information.
Add users' bookmarked code snippets onto blueprint PDFs (and have some kind of UI for them specifying the right area in the PDF or detect automatically).
Create Rap Genius-style annotations on sections of building code, to better explain it.
Past project example: for links to other building code sections, create a preview modal that pops up similar to Wikipedia's previews.