Heroic Labs is an enterprise open-core software company that builds developer tools for the games and entertainment industry. We build an open-source cloud-agnostic game server called Nakama.
Heroic Labs also provides managed infrastructure to run Nakama on behalf of game studios and media companies. There is also a proprietary version called Nakama Enterprise for large enterprises to deploy in their own datacenter, as well as custom infrastructure for private cloud deployments.
We work with different size companies ranging from small startups, mid-size game studios, public-listed games companies, and Fortune 500 companies. This means that Nakama (and suite of products) have been battle-tested at various scales and use cases.
Skills: C++, Go, HTML, Java, Kubernetes, Lua, TypeScript, Google Cloud, Linux, Unreal Engine, Unity
We're looking for a technical writer to join the growing team at Heroic Labs. We build an open-source, distributed, highly scalable game server called Nakama.
We are simplifying the lives of game developers and providing an incredible technology that can be integrated into any games on any platform as easily as possible. Nakama is already powering many games, including multiple titles on the Top 50 of the app stores.
There is an ever-growing open-source community with many contributors, and third-party plugins and projects. Heroic Labs works with independent developers, mid-tier, AAA game studios and many publicly listed, Fortune 500 companies across the globe to power games that individually make over 90 billion requests per month into our infrastructure.
We lean towards candidates who have professional experience with open-core companies.
About The Role
We are looking for a Technical Writer to join the Heroic team. In this role, you will help us fulfill our mission to be the server of choice for developers building all online games.
You will do this by creating outstanding documentation that educates and guides our global community of customers and open source users to succeed. Your work will foster a community inspired by Nakama and will drive our strategy around developer joy and Nakama’s participation in the development of all online games.
After integrating with the product and the team, you’ll take the lead on writing and enhancing documentation, guides, video tutorials and sample game projects, and help with showcasing this content in a new Developer Center.
Things You Might Do
- Collaborate with the existing Developer Relations team at Heroic.
- Develop technical expertise in Nakama and accompanying technologies.
- Put yourself in the shoes of developers building games using Nakama.
- Write how-tos and tutorials that help developers quickly get up and running with their preferred tools while learning and applying best practices.
- Write demo code and sample applications, and review and leverage sample code and games written by Heroic engineers and external contractors, to support tutorials and other education materials, such as online training courses.
- Write comprehensive API reference documentation (e.g., Unity Integration) with tactical examples.
- Build and execute evangelism programs that successfully deliver content, brand awareness, and community building.
- Lead the conversation around the latest technology advancements and best practices in the developer community.
- 4+ years total experience in a technical field with 2+ years of technical evangelism, developer relations, or community building experience within a technical space.
- A passion for writing and editing concise and useful documentation for technical audiences, including tactical how-tos, end-to-end tutorials, and detailed CLI and API reference. You are passionate about clarity, concision, and correctness.
- A love for information and are a sponge. You enjoy getting into the weeds technically, but don't let that distract you from achieving your end goals.
- A passion for building relationships with internal and external users to get feedback and identify potential areas of documentation improvement.
- Proficiency in Markdown, HTML, and Linux.
- Optional, but strongly recommended: Game development experience, and basic knowledge of JS, C#, Unity, Unreal.
- Optional, Experience with Go, Lua and Typescript languages.
About Heroic Labs
For the past five years, Heroic Labs has been on the forefront of providing cutting edge technology to the games and entertainment market. We do this because we love developers and we love games!
We always choose the right tool for the job. We believe that with the right tools, you can have a big impact with less hassle. We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
The Whole Package
Location: Anywhere on the planet with a reliable Internet connection!
If you want to work remote, that's great. If you want to work near others, that's cool too. We have an office in London (UK), but our team members are in Vancouver, New York, Portugal, and Costa Rica!
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less).
- Stock options.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year (and observe local holidays).
- At least yearly company all-hands and getaways.
- Pick your own equipment. We recommend Macs, but we don't worry if you choose something else!
- Work with a loving team that treats everyone as family.
How to apply
Send an email to us with your resume, and a cover letter highlighting why you'd like to join Heroic Labs.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
We use the best tool/language for the job.
Nakama and all supporting systems from Heroic Labs are used at massive scales, and are currently powering many games including multiple titles on the Top 10 in the App Stores. Our systems are serving more than 60 billion API calls per day.
Nakama is written in Go to take advantage of light-weight goroutines, simple concurrency, and more importantly the Go community. We heavily depend on Kubernetes (and various extensions) to power our Managed Cloud and Private Cloud deployments.
You will be responsible for developing the core server technology, work on infrastructure solutions, provide support to clients, attend conferences, and be involved in technical sales. We'd like engineers to have an all-hands experience across the board but we understand that not all engineers would like to have such responsibilities.