Head of Developer Relations
Heroic Labs is an enterprise open-core software company that builds developer tools for the games and entertainment industry. We build an open-source cloud-agnostic game server called Nakama.
Heroic Labs also provides managed infrastructure to run Nakama on behalf of game studios and media companies. There is also a proprietary version called Nakama Enterprise for large enterprises to deploy in their own datacenter, as well as custom infrastructure for private cloud deployments.
We work with different size companies ranging from small startups, mid-size game studios, public-listed games companies, and Fortune 500 companies. This means that Nakama (and suite of products) have been battle-tested at various scales and use cases.
Skills: Git, Go, Java, Kubernetes, Lua, TypeScript, Google Cloud, Distributed Systems, Unity, PostgreSQL
We're looking for a Head Of Developer Relations to join the growing team at Heroic Labs. We build an open-source, distributed, highly scalable game server called Nakama.
We are simplifying the lives of game developers and providing an incredible technology that can be integrated into any games on any platform as easily as possible. Nakama is already powering many games, including multiple titles on the Top 50 of the app stores.
There is an ever-growing open-source community with many contributors, and third-party plugins and projects. Heroic Labs works with independent developers, mid-tier, AAA game studios and many publicly listed, Fortune 500 companies across the globe to power games that individually make over 90 billion requests per month into our infrastructure.
We lean towards candidates who have professional experience with open-core companies.
About The Role
We are looking for a Head of Developer Relations to join the Heroic team. In this role, you will help us fulfill our mission to be the server choice for developers building all online games.
You will be creating outstanding documentation, define and create our developer and customer advocacy program that will help identify and amplify the unique ways people are using Nakama.
The person in this role will become deeply engaged in the community of developers and vendors and be a trusted and respected ambassador. In this role, you will have a heavy focus on building a community of Nakama users, creating/curating developer-oriented content, and building expertise/advocacy within our users so that they will organically speak about and recommend Nakama to their peers.
Things You Might Do
- Be one of the voices of Nakama both in online forums and in-person events, engaging and helping developers understand and love Nakama while also celebrating the impact of our open-source contributors.
- Craft original content and derivative works using existing material from adjacent teams.
- Create a framework for empowering Nakama users to engage with our developer community through speaking engagements and/or content development.
- Advocate for developers' needs internally within the company to improve our overall developer experience.
- Define and own metrics to measure the success of our developer content and outreach efforts.
- Lead the conversation around the latest technology advancements and best practices in the developer community.
- Grow the developer relations team at Heroic.
- 5+ years leading a developer advocacy group or similar role.
- Experience writing technical articles or blog posts.
- A natural affinity to forge relationships with developers.
- A collaborative spirit and an ability to problem-solve.
- Excellent writing and project management skills.
- Optional, but strongly recommended: Game development experience, and basic knowledge of JS, C#, Unity, Unreal.
- Optional, Experience with Go, Lua and TypeScript languages.
About Heroic Labs
For the past five years, Heroic Labs has been on the forefront of providing cutting edge technology to the games and entertainment market. We do this because we love developers and we love games!
We always choose the right tool for the job. We believe that with the right tools, you can have a big impact with less hassle. We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
The Whole Package
Location: Anywhere on the planet with a reliable Internet connection!
If you want to work remote, that's great. If you want to work near others, that's cool too. We have an office in London (UK), but our team members are in Vancouver, New York, Portugal, and Costa Rica!
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less).
- Stock options.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year (and observe local holidays).
- At least yearly company all-hands and getaways.
- Pick your own equipment. We recommend Macs, but we don't worry if you choose something else!
- Work with a loving team that treats everyone as family.
How to apply
Send an email to us with your resume, and a cover letter highlighting why you'd like to join Heroic Labs.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
We use the best tool/language for the job.
Nakama and all supporting systems from Heroic Labs are used at massive scales, and are currently powering many games including multiple titles on the Top 10 in the App Stores. Our systems are serving more than 60 billion API calls per day.
Nakama is written in Go to take advantage of light-weight goroutines, simple concurrency, and more importantly the Go community. We heavily depend on Kubernetes (and various extensions) to power our Managed Cloud and Private Cloud deployments.
You will be responsible for developing the core server technology, work on infrastructure solutions, provide support to clients, attend conferences, and be involved in technical sales. We'd like engineers to have an all-hands experience across the board but we understand that not all engineers would like to have such responsibilities.