Heroic Labs is an enterprise open-core software company that builds developer tools for the games and entertainment industry. We build an open-source cloud-agnostic game server called Nakama.
Heroic Labs also provides managed infrastructure to run Nakama on behalf of game studios and media companies. There is also a proprietary version called Nakama Enterprise for large enterprises to deploy in their own datacenter, as well as custom infrastructure for private cloud deployments.
We work with different size companies ranging from small startups, mid-size game studios, public-listed games companies, and Fortune 500 companies. This means that Nakama (and suite of products) have been battle-tested at various scales and use cases.
Skills: C++, Go, Unreal Engine, Unity, Elixir, Erlang, PostgreSQL
We're looking for a server engineer to join the engineering team at Heroic Labs. We build an open-source, distributed, highly scalable game server called Nakama.
We are simplifying the lives of game developers and providing an incredible technology that can be integrated into any games on any platform as easily as possible. Nakama is already powering many games, including multiple titles on the Top 50 of the app stores.
There is an ever-growing open-source community with many contributors, and third-party plugins and projects. Heroic Labs works with independent developers, mid-tier, AAA game studios and many publicly listed, Fortune 500 companies across the globe to power games that individually make over 90 billion requests per month into our infrastructure.
We lean towards candidates who have professional experience with realtime, distributed systems - however if you don't have experience but feel up to the challenge, please do apply!
About The Role
We are looking to grow our rapidly expanding sales engineering team. As a Sales Engineer, you will help onboard new customers and partners and provide post-sales technical expertise. The role is flexible on location (preference for London, UK) but you will be covering customers regionally.
Things You Might Do
- Develop technical expertise in Nakama and accompanying technologies.
- Work alongside the sales team to introduce Nakama to our potential customers. As a trusted advisor, you will help educate prospects on the unique capabilities of Nakama and design solutions to meet a wide variety of challenges. Identify and address customers' key technical objections and develop the engineering strategies to resolve those blockers to adoption.
- Work with customers to develop custom Nakama modules which fit their game design requirements. This could include interfacing with external APIs including their in-house systems.
- Depending on requirements, you could be working on adding new features to the core Nakama server to help onboard the customer.
- Developed software or infrastructure for scalable, distributed systems in the past and want to stay close to the code.
- A passion for working on complex technical problems and have a strong understanding of modern infrastructure and database technologies.
- A strong ability to build relationships with our partners, customers, and open-source users.
- The flexibility to travel to meet customers, attend events or conferences or wherever the work takes you if you wish. Prior experience collecting requirements, developing solution architectures, leading presentations and teaching prospective users or project teams how to use Nakama.
- Optional, but strongly recommended: Game development experience, and basic knowledge of JS, C#, Unity, Unreal.
- Optional: Experience with Go, Lua and TypeScript languages.
About Heroic Labs
For the past five years, Heroic Labs has been on the forefront of providing cutting edge technology to the games and entertainment market. We do this because we love developers and we love games!
We always choose the right tool for the job. We believe that with the right tools, you can have a big impact with less hassle. We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
The Whole Package
Location: Anywhere on the planet with a reliable Internet connection!
If you want to work remote, that's great. If you want to work near others, that's cool too. We have an office in London (UK), but our team members are in Vancouver, New York, Portugal, and Costa Rica!
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less).
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year (and observe local holidays).
- At least yearly company all-hands and getaways.
- Pick your own equipment. We recommend Macs, but we don't worry if you choose something else!
- Work with a loving team that treats everyone as family.
How to apply
Send an email to us with your resume, and a cover letter highlighting why you'd like to join Heroic Labs.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
We use the best tool/language for the job.
Nakama and all supporting systems from Heroic Labs are used at massive scales, and are currently powering many games including multiple titles on the Top 10 in the App Stores. Our systems are serving more than 60 billion API calls per day.
Nakama is written in Go to take advantage of light-weight goroutines, simple concurrency, and more importantly the Go community. We heavily depend on Kubernetes (and various extensions) to power our Managed Cloud and Private Cloud deployments.
You will be responsible for developing the core server technology, work on infrastructure solutions, provide support to clients, attend conferences, and be involved in technical sales. We'd like engineers to have an all-hands experience across the board but we understand that not all engineers would like to have such responsibilities.