Product Manager - Records Platform
PicnicHealth is all about making medical records easy to access and using data to power the next frontier of medical research. We work directly with patients to give them the only tool anywhere that truly provides all of their medical records from any doctor or healthcare system in the US—in an easy-to-use, secure online dashboard. Not only that, but patients can choose to contribute their incredibly important data to scientific research, which helps researchers accelerate breakthroughs in care. We’re currently 55 people based in the Mission District of SF, just raised our Series B, and continuing to grow!
PicnicHealth is all about making medical records easy to access and using data to power the next frontier of medical research. We work directly with patients to give them the only tool anywhere that truly provides all of their medical records from any doctor or healthcare system in the US—in an easy-to-use, secure online dashboard. Not only that, but patients can choose to contribute their incredibly important data to scientific research, which helps researchers accelerate breakthroughs in care. To date we’ve helped tens of thousands of patients, partnered with some of the world’s largest biopharma companies, and raised more than $35M from Felicis Ventures, Amplify Partners, Foresite Capital, Refactor Capital, and Y Combinator.
It's an exciting time to join the PicnicHealth team - we just announced our Series B raise and are growing quickly in revenue, partnerships, and people. We 3x'd our ARR two years in a row now and on track to continue this trend, building partnerships with over a dozen Life Sciences groups, including 3 of the top 6 Biopharma firms in the US. We’re going through a period of hyper-growth - we tripled the size of the team in the last 18 months and we’re looking to at least double over the next year. We have a collaborative and engaged team culture that is mission driven and excited about the technology we’re building and real solutions we’re offering patients.
PicnicHealth is growing rapidly, and you’ll be one of the first Product Managers on the team. We’re looking for a product leader who is excited to own our human-integrated medical records platform. You’ll be responsible for articulating the platform vision, empowering our Operations team to improve our human-in-the-loop machine learning models, and enabling the research efforts of our life science partners. You’ll work with teams across PicnicHealth: Machine Learning, Operations Quantitative Research, and Clinical, and in addition to Design and Engineering.
The medical records platform is at the core of PicnicHealth. This is the engine that retrieves and ingests messy medical records, producing clean, structured, useful data. We use a combination of machine learning and human labeling. At each stage in the pipeline, machine learning models take a first pass at structuring data. A team of medical abstractors follows up and corrects model output. The corrected output is used as clean input data for the next stage in the pipeline, and as training data to improve our machine learning models. The medical abstractors work through the web-based labeling application we develop.
As the product owner for the medical records platform, you’d have two core sets of users: our team of medical abstractors and all downstream users of structured data. The labeled data produced by the records platform powers our research efforts, our patient product, and our machine learning models.
You’ll be responsible for articulating a compelling vision and clear success metrics. You’ll work closely with our machine learning engineering team and operations team of medical abstractors. You’ll understand the needs and requirements of the users of PicnicHealth data - our patient product, our clinical teams, and our research partners. You’ll identify ways to improve the speed and accuracy of our medical records platform to add more value to patients and enable life science research. This is what PicnicHealth is all about! You’ll set the roadmap and oversee execution to achieve our goals. Establish the product function in the records platform, and build the heart of PicnicHealth’s platform.
In this highly visible role, you will:
- In the near term, identify, prioritize, and implement improvements to our medical records platform to drive efficiency improvements, improve data quality, and enable fast delivery of data.
- In the longer term, evaluate and prioritize new platform functionality and data sources that will enable users of PicnicHealth’s data platform continued success.
- Create detailed technical requirements for new platform functionality through a partnership with our Operations team and data stakeholders.
- Achieve buy-in from various cross-functional teams, especially those heavily involved with data and research.
You are a strong candidate if you have:
- 4+ years as a Product Manager, ideally working on a data product;
- A strong understanding of human-in-the-loop AI;
- Worked in an excellent product organization from which to draw best practices;
- B.S. in CS, HCI, Math or equivalent preferred;
- Background as an engineer or data scientist with experience getting your hands dirty in product development and deep understanding of what it means to build a data product.
We will be extra interested in you as a candidate if you have:
- Worked on AI products in the past;
- Empathy for patient and doctor experiences coming from direct personal or professional experiences interacting with the healthcare system; and/or
- Worked in a fast-growing startup or founded your own.
We expect all team members to be motivated to be amazing in their roles and, ultimately, to move the PicnicHealth mission forward.
Why join PicnicHealth? At PicnicHealth you get to solve real problems with real solutions, great tech, and great people.
You also get:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive benefits including Health, Dental, Vision
- Flexible time off
- 401k plan
- Parental leave
- Free PicnicHealth account
- Equipment and internet funds while we're working remotely during COVID-19
Due to COVID-19, currently, all roles are remote until at least until July 2021. Once in-person work is safe for all team members, this role would be based out of our beautiful office in the Mission District of San Francisco.
Tech used: React + Redux, Node, Python, TensorFlow/Keras, PostgreSQL, Kubernetes PicnicHealth has many exciting, difficult technical challenges, including:
- Improving our human-in-the-loop machine learning systems for structuring data in medical records
- Inventing new ways for patients, doctors, and researchers to visualize and understand medical information
- Scaling and securing PicnicHealth's services through the rapid growth we're experiencing
We're fixing the interoperability problem in healthcare from the bottom up, giving any patient their entire medical history and making sure it's useful. We're doing the necessary dirty work (dealing with paper records, using nurses to label concepts embedded in doctor's notes, etc.). PicnicHealth has already literally saved many of our users' lives; help us save more.