Senior Total Rewards Manager
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 600 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About this Job
The Senior Total Rewards Manager specializing in compensation and benefits will own the build, maintenance and facilitation of all total rewards programs, processes, resources, training and tools to continually improve the employee experience. This role supports the People & Talent team as well as Executive and Newsroom Leadership to maintain a data driven, high performing workforce. As a senior program manager, this individual will interact with various stakeholders across HQ and the Newsroom to drive program efforts. Reporting into People Operations, the ideal candidate is exceptionally detail oriented, analytical and process driven.
This is a full-time role with competitive salary and benefits.
- Partner with the Director of People Operations to build and maintain global total rewards, including annual benefits renewal and open enrollment, compensation benchmarking, benefits compliance, and total rewards administration, processes and resources.
- Manage compensation process during performance reviews in multiple countries and local markets across multiple verticals; partner closely with Senior Director of Talent to ensure timely Newsroom compensation execution.
- Partner with Talent Acquisition and hiring managers to create and maintain job descriptions; evaluate, benchmark, and market price jobs.
- Create and maintain various compensation tools.
- Manage benefits program and benefits compliance calendar.
- Own total rewards program as the clear subject matter expert, providing insights into HQ and Newsroom compensation, implementing total rewards best practices, and keeping up to date on all applicable laws and regulations.
- Act as project manager for total rewards program builds and iterations, including creating timelines, determining scope of work, assessing and identifying risks, partnering with internal stakeholders and external vendors, streamlining and delegating work for project members, and guiding projects through completion.
- Perform in depth program analysis utilizing various data, stakeholder feedback and program focus groups, and recommend program updates to People Leadership team.
- Maintain and identify areas to optimize for our internal tools and systems associated with total rewards and benefits compliance; strategize, recommend and implement solutions.
- Lead the People Operations team to continually update and maintain internal tools, standardized operating procedures, and other training collateral.
- Complete all applicable total rewards filings, audits, testings, forms, system automations, etc. to maintain global compliance.
- Provide subject matter expertise for total rewards and benefits compliance as necessary.
- Contribute to and/or lead special projects and additional areas of responsibility as necessary.
- Ensure ad hoc People Operations reporting and analysis requests are completed.
- Mentor junior People team members.
- Own the vendor relationship for total rewards, including new system/benefits implementation and transition.
- Bachelor’s degree and 4 to 6 years of experience OR 5+ years of equivalent experience in a People/HR role managing total rewards.
- Traditional compensation and benefits administration experience is a must.
- Experience working in a distributed workforce with multiple locations and/or in a remote environment a must.
- Comfortable streamlining processes and managing total rewards data for high volumes of employees.
- Meticulous, organized, and a proactive mindset are essential.
- Self-starter capable of working in a fast-paced, fluid environment.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and delegate responsibilities as necessary.
- Capable of taking ownership of issues, analyzing the root cause and delivering solutions.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in Google Suite and Microsoft Office Suite (advanced Excel skills a must.).
- Experience with various HR systems (HR reporting, benefits portals, etc.).
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.