Senior Engineer, Full Stack
Genius celebrates More Than The Music—the lyrics, the stories behind the songs, and the creative connections that meaningfully drive culture.
We champion curiosity and believe that everyone has music knowledge to share: insights, intel, and musings that make us more informed, engaged music lovers.
Through our original content, technology, and live & virtual experiences, Genius spotlights the artists who are shaping music culture across every genre and musical discipline, sharing the stories behind their creativity and craft in their own words.
With more than 100 million global users, 2 million contributors, and 9 million YouTube subscribers, Genius is the world's biggest music encyclopedia—a destination for artists, creatives, and superfans to discuss and deconstruct all things music.
Skills: React, Ruby, Ruby on Rails
Genius is looking for a remote Senior Full Stack Engineer to help build the ultimate music companion, enabling fans to collaboratively transcribe lyrics and write annotations that live on Genius.com and everywhere people experience music. We’re looking for makers with a sophisticated code sense: folks who’ve built cool things, but who can also maintain and scale those things, and who feel at home deep in the guts of a library.
- Build and maintain web application features, working with a Rails backend and React frontend Proactively identify and fix infrastructure bottlenecks to scale backend services to tens of thousands of requests per minute
- Develop the APIs that our Android and iPhone apps and web frontend consume
- Migrate legacy Angular code to React as part of an ongoing site redesign
- Work with product design team to build rich, intuitive user experiences in the browser
- Architect database query patterns and migrations that scale to large tables with 50M+ rows
- Take ownership of features at a product as well as a technical level, working closely with other engineers, designers, and colleagues across the company to define feature specifications
- Join on-call rotation to respond to urgent bugs or outages
- At least 5 years professional web development experience
- Significant experience with Ruby on Rails
- Significant experience with at least one front end framework: Angular, Ember, React, or similar
- Significant experience working with relational databases and writing SQL queries
- 3 years Rails development
- 2 years experience with PostgreSQL/MySQL
- 1+ years experience with React
We're building the ultimate music companion, enabling fans to collaboratively transcribe lyrics and write annotations that live on Genius.com and everywhere people experience music. We’re looking for makers with a sophisticated code sense: folks who’ve built cool things, but who can also maintain and scale those things, and who feel at home deep in the guts of a library.