Senior Legal Counsel (UK - Remote)
What we do
With Prolific, we're changing how research on the internet is done. Katia and Phelim started by building a marketplace that connects researchers (from both Academia and industry) with instant, high quality, global research participants. Now, as a growing team of 17, the bigger vision is to build the most powerful and trusted platform for behavioral research.
Our two-sided marketplace and ambitious growth plans come with many interesting challenges around how to accelerate growth, as we move from running thousands of studies a month, to tens of thousands. We hope to become the go-to infrastructure layer for "human responses" that empowers anybody – individuals, businesses, and governments – to make more evidence-based decisions.
We've recently been part of Y Combinator's Summer 2019 batch, raised seed funding, and have decided to grow and scale the company from London, UK.
How we interview & hire
Our hiring process usually begins with an introductory online interview to help you get to know us better, and vice versa. At this stage, we would like to better understand your motivation for the role, get to know about your interests and personality, and learn about any relevant past experience or skills you might have. If this initial interview is successful, we'd then invite you to complete an assignment (<2 hours, you'll be compensated for the time spent), which will be reviewed by relevant team members. This will be followed by an in-depth, face-to-face interview in London, UK, which will provide an opportunity to discuss the assignment, explore value fit, which incentives you care about, and learn how you would work with the team on a daily basis.
Our core values
Prolific’s values are the fundamental beliefs upon which our business and its behaviour are based. They are the guiding principles that we use to manage ourselves as well as our relationship with customers.
Open Prolific aims to be as open as possible in the way it works, both externally and internally. This means that we put in place policies and practices that bring information out into the open wherever possible. We also support the principles of Open Science.
Thoughtful At Prolific we try to be thoughtful about everything we do. This means that we consider the short-and long-term consequences of our actions and decisions, both for users and coworkers, and society more generally. It also means we value and encourage diversity and inclusion.
Trustworthy Researchers, Participants, and anyone else we interact with should have trust in dealing with us, and in the results produced by our platform. Within our company we strive to be fair in the way we deal with each other and the decisions we make.
Improving human knowledge At the core of Prolific is the aim to improve human knowledge. Every decision we make ultimately works towards this goal.
At A Glance
Us: Profitable and funded startup of 50+ people. Remote team, mainly based in the UK. YC alumni. Creating a web-based platform for behavioural research. 3x yearly growth, all driven by word-of-mouth.
We’re on a mission to connect people around the world to make trustworthy data more accessible and facilitate world-changing research.
You: An experienced Solicitor and confident negotiator who is keen to play a major role in the development of a growing startup!
As Senior Legal Counsel you will work closely with our consultant General Counsel and COO; you will be the 'go to' legal point of contact for the Company.
If you want to play a major role in the development of a growing startup this is the perfect role for you! You'll work with teams across the company including with Prolific's Growth team on contract terms, administration, process improvement, management, tracking and reporting, helping to find solutions to commercial issues.
You'll act as Prolific's Data Protection Officer and advise on global data privacy issues and oversee compliance in EU and other jurisdictions where necessary. You'll also work closely with the Product team to identify, develop and implement process improvements to Prolific's data privacy program.
What You'll Be Doing
- Act as the legal point of contact for the Company.
- Work with Prolific's Growth team on contract terms, administration, process improvement, management, tracking and reporting.
- Act as Prolific's Data Protection Officer and advise on global data privacy issues and overseeing compliance in EU and other jurisdictions where compliance is necessary.
- Collaborate with the product and data teams, and commercial teams to continually improve Prolific's privacy and security and general contracts terms.
- Keep up-to-date with industry guidelines and legislation in data privacy, information security, ISO, HIPAA, Prolific's products and services.
- Work collaboratively across multi-function teams especially closely with HR, Finance and Operations.
- Ensure legal best practice across the Company.
- Manage relationships with external legal counsel.
- An experienced Solicitor with extensive commercial experience of working in-house or in private practice.
- An excellent commercial contract drafter, confident negotiator and closer of deals.
- A knowledgeable advisor on all aspects of data privacy and data security.
- Speak and write clearly, concisely and 'jargon-free' with a flexible style adaptable to multi-jurisdictional needs.
- Someone who enjoys working in a past-paced environment
- Have the ability to manage numerous tasks and prioritise according to business needs.
- Be a self starter who is willing to work autonomously and remotely, and curious to learn about new areas.
- Be understanding and compassionate towards others' needs and viewpoints, and effectively facilitate strong multi-team collaboration.
- Have a 'can do' attitude and willing to challenge what has gone before!
Nice To Have
- Experience of working in a high growth startup.
- Experience with financial regulation, anti money laundering regulation etc.
- Experience with US law.
What We Offer
Pension (employer contribution 3% of base salary).
Flexible working: Work equipment of your choice (paid for by us), and you can work flexibly from home or from our coworking space (also paid for by us).
Childcare flexibility: Need to pick your child up from school? No problem.
Comprehensive private health insurance that disregards medical history.
33 days holiday per year (25 days + bank holidays, which you can switch with your religious holiday).
£1000 yearly budget for education, growth, and training.
Personal growth opportunities and career progression (e.g., learn about the startup ecosystem, mentoring from executive team, learn about psychological science and research methods).
Open, transparent, and inclusive culture.
A company committed to carbon offsetting: we donate money in your name each month to plant trees and we offset travel as an organization each year.
Generous maternity, paternity, and shared parental leave.
At Prolific, we're changing how research on the internet is done. Our co-founders Katia and Phelim started by building a marketplace that connects researchers from both Academia and industry with instant, high quality, global research participants. Now, as a growing team, our bigger vision is to build the most powerful and trusted platform for behavioral research.
We were in Y Combinator's Summer 2019 batch, we've recently closed a $1.4M seed round, we've been growing 3x a year purely through word-of-mouth, we're already profitable, and we have very ambitious plans.
The Interview Process
1. Initial Interview - You'll have a 30 - 45 minute interview with two members of the team where you'll have the opportunity to ask about the company and the role, and we'll ask you questions about your experiences and goals.
2. Assignment - There will be a 2 hour assignment that evaluates skills required for the role. You'll be compensated with a £50 voucher for completing the task because we know your time is valuable!
3. Final Interview - The final stage is a 1.5 - 2 hour interview where we'll deep dive into your past experiences, goals, motivations, and skills. You'll speak with two to three members of the team and - as always - have an opportunity to ask questions about the role and company.
Python, Django, Django Rest Framework, Celery, Redis, MongoDB and Postgres, as well as Vue.js on the front-end. For infrastructure we use Kubernetes running on Google Cloud Platform.