Product Manager, Trust
What we do
With Prolific, we're changing how research on the internet is done. Katia and Phelim started by building a marketplace that connects researchers (from both Academia and industry) with instant, high quality, global research participants. Now, as a growing team of 17, the bigger vision is to build the most powerful and trusted platform for behavioral research.
Our two-sided marketplace and ambitious growth plans come with many interesting challenges around how to accelerate growth, as we move from running thousands of studies a month, to tens of thousands. We hope to become the go-to infrastructure layer for "human responses" that empowers anybody – individuals, businesses, and governments – to make more evidence-based decisions.
We've recently been part of Y Combinator's Summer 2019 batch, raised seed funding, and have decided to grow and scale the company from London, UK.
How we interview & hire
Our hiring process usually begins with an introductory online interview to help you get to know us better, and vice versa. At this stage, we would like to better understand your motivation for the role, get to know about your interests and personality, and learn about any relevant past experience or skills you might have. If this initial interview is successful, we'd then invite you to complete an assignment (<2 hours, you'll be compensated for the time spent), which will be reviewed by relevant team members. This will be followed by an in-depth, face-to-face interview in London, UK, which will provide an opportunity to discuss the assignment, explore value fit, which incentives you care about, and learn how you would work with the team on a daily basis.
Our core values
Prolific’s values are the fundamental beliefs upon which our business and its behaviour are based. They are the guiding principles that we use to manage ourselves as well as our relationship with customers.
Open Prolific aims to be as open as possible in the way it works, both externally and internally. This means that we put in place policies and practices that bring information out into the open wherever possible. We also support the principles of Open Science.
Thoughtful At Prolific we try to be thoughtful about everything we do. This means that we consider the short-and long-term consequences of our actions and decisions, both for users and coworkers, and society more generally. It also means we value and encourage diversity and inclusion.
Trustworthy Researchers, Participants, and anyone else we interact with should have trust in dealing with us, and in the results produced by our platform. Within our company we strive to be fair in the way we deal with each other and the decisions we make.
Improving human knowledge At the core of Prolific is the aim to improve human knowledge. Every decision we make ultimately works towards this goal.
At A Glance
Us: Profitable and investor-backed startup of ~50 people. Remote team, mainly based in the UK. YC alumni (summer 2019). Creating a web-based platform for behavioural research. 3x yearly growth, all driven by word-of-mouth.
Seeking an experienced Product Manager to lead our cross-functional Trust Squad, focusing on data quality and marketplace dynamics.
You: User obsessed and data-savvy Product Manager looking for their next big challenge.
Our researchers want data they can use and trust, and our participants want fair rewards and interesting studies to take part in. Your role will be to ensure both groups are suitably incentivised and that the bar for data quality is kept high. This is a fantastic opportunity to play a leading role in helping us set the standard for online research.
We now have more than 10,000 active researchers and 170,000 active participants using our product, with more than 11 million responses collected during 2020. We recently collaborated with leading academics to produce a research paper which compares our data quality with that of other platforms. You can check it out here.
We care deeply about building an inclusive and diverse team. We offer flexible hours, an open, friendly culture and meaningful share option allocation. Our team is currently fully remote due to the coronavirus pandemic, with plans to provide flexible co-working spaces when possible.
What You'll Do
- Identify and solve key issues affecting data quality. Working in a continuous discovery/delivery cycle, you'll research problems and and test solutions at a rapid pace.
- Lead a cross-functional Product Squad. This includes contributing to the future vision of our platform and full ownership of your team's priorities.
- Be an expert on our users. Regularly speaking and interacting with our passionate users, you'll learn about their needs, pain points and 'aha' moments, ensuring everything we do solves significant user problems.
- Obsess over data and key metrics. Leveraging data to make decisions and to devise, set up and test innovative solutions and evaluate results.
- Collaborate with all areas of our business. You'll work closely with our senior leadership team, designers, developers, data analysts and user researchers, ensuring they are deeply involved throughout the whole process.
You Should Apply If
- You've led empowered, cross-functional teams as a Product Manager, in fast growing startups or businesses before.
- You have a strong analytical mindset with an obsessive focus on data and using rapid experimentation to achieve business goals and meet user's needs.
- You're adept at taking a highly collaborative approach to working on features owned by other product teams and have very strong written and verbal communication skills.
- You're a creative thinker, able to reverse-engineer complicated problems and reason from first principles.
- You're comfortable coaching a team through a continuous discovery/delivery cycle and are used to iterating and shipping at a rapid pace.
- You possess humility, optimism and a desire to learn and grow fast.
This Isn't For You If
- You haven't worked in a product management role to ship a user-facing product or feature before. We know there are many great product managers and product owners working on features for internal stakeholders, but due to the importance of this role we need strong experience working with the uncertainty of product discovery and experimentation.
- You need the structure of established processes. We're growing fast and learning as we go, both from industry experts through our networks, but also through trial and error. As such, it's essential you have a proven track record of working and thriving in uncertain environments.
- You've never worked alongside a Product Designer and experienced the various stages of taking a product or major feature from conception all the way through to delivery.
Python, Django, Django Rest Framework, Celery, Redis, MongoDB and Postgres, as well as Vue.js on the front-end. For infrastructure we use Kubernetes running on Google Cloud Platform.