Product Designer, Scalability (UK - Remote)
What we do
With Prolific, we're changing how research on the internet is done. Katia and Phelim started by building a marketplace that connects researchers (from both Academia and industry) with instant, high quality, global research participants. Now, as a growing team of 17, the bigger vision is to build the most powerful and trusted platform for behavioral research.
Our two-sided marketplace and ambitious growth plans come with many interesting challenges around how to accelerate growth, as we move from running thousands of studies a month, to tens of thousands. We hope to become the go-to infrastructure layer for "human responses" that empowers anybody – individuals, businesses, and governments – to make more evidence-based decisions.
We've recently been part of Y Combinator's Summer 2019 batch, raised seed funding, and have decided to grow and scale the company from London, UK.
How we interview & hire
Our hiring process usually begins with an introductory online interview to help you get to know us better, and vice versa. At this stage, we would like to better understand your motivation for the role, get to know about your interests and personality, and learn about any relevant past experience or skills you might have. If this initial interview is successful, we'd then invite you to complete an assignment (<2 hours, you'll be compensated for the time spent), which will be reviewed by relevant team members. This will be followed by an in-depth, face-to-face interview in London, UK, which will provide an opportunity to discuss the assignment, explore value fit, which incentives you care about, and learn how you would work with the team on a daily basis.
Our core values
Prolific’s values are the fundamental beliefs upon which our business and its behaviour are based. They are the guiding principles that we use to manage ourselves as well as our relationship with customers.
Open Prolific aims to be as open as possible in the way it works, both externally and internally. This means that we put in place policies and practices that bring information out into the open wherever possible. We also support the principles of Open Science.
Thoughtful At Prolific we try to be thoughtful about everything we do. This means that we consider the short-and long-term consequences of our actions and decisions, both for users and coworkers, and society more generally. It also means we value and encourage diversity and inclusion.
Trustworthy Researchers, Participants, and anyone else we interact with should have trust in dealing with us, and in the results produced by our platform. Within our company we strive to be fair in the way we deal with each other and the decisions we make.
Improving human knowledge At the core of Prolific is the aim to improve human knowledge. Every decision we make ultimately works towards this goal.
At A Glance
Us: Profitable and funded startup of 50+ people. Remote team, mainly based in the UK. YC alumni. Creating a web-based platform for behavioural research. 3x yearly growth, all driven by word-of-mouth.
We’re on a mission to connect people around the world to make trustworthy data more accessible and facilitate world-changing research.
You: Product Designer with experience designing complex systems where data security and integrity is crucial.
We have ambitious plans to create the most powerful, trusted and accessible platform for research on the internet. Last year, our platform allowed more than 10,000 researchers to collect over 11 million responses from a pool of 170,000 active participants. We have ambitious plans to 10X or more these numbers over the coming years.
Our Scalability squad are tasked with removing bottlenecks which may inhibit rapid growth, while also improving our platform in ways that open up possibilities for new markets or business models. This doesn't mean focusing on only internal tools and users, but also includes initiatives like redesigning our marketplace billing and payments systems and user journeys.
We care deeply about building an inclusive and diverse team. We offer flexible hours, an open, friendly culture and meaningful share option allocation. Our team is currently fully remote due to the coronavirus pandemic, with plans to provide flexible co-working spaces when possible.
What You'll Do:
- Lead design for a product area. This includes contributing to the future vision for this area, making sure our users have a cohesive and consistent experience across the whole platform.
- Work as part of a cross-functional product squad. You’ll be responsible for the creation and user testing of all designs; from initial discovery and user journey mapping through to the final UI details.
- Be an expert on our users. Regularly speaking and interacting with our passionate users, you'l learn about their needs, pain points and 'aha' moments, ensuring everything we do solves significant user problems.
- Collaborate using strong communication, documentation and facilitation skills. You’ll work closely with Product Managers, Developers, User Researchers, Data Analysts and other Product Designers to make sure your team is shipping great work with their involvement throughout the design process.
- Advocate for and implement intuitive and accessible user experiences. You'll take a pragmatic approach to balancing the ideal user experience with technical constraints, delivery strategy and business risk.
- Help improve how design operates at Prolific. We're a small but fast-growing team where design is a key role in every cross-functional squad. You'll contribute to improving our design chapter as a whole, through our techniques and (currently!) fledgling design system.
You Should Apply If:
- You've led the design of complex systems in a fast-growing company before.
- You excel at taking a pragmatic approach to solving problems through great design, based on solid principles and always advocating for the best possible user experience.
- You’re passionate about inclusive design and accessibility.
- You care more about investing your time in creating a cohesive overall user experience than in pixel-perfect design and beautiful micro-interactions.
- You care about sharing your knowledge and helping us build and improve our design system and practices at Prolific.
- You're a creative thinker, able to reverse-engineer complicated problems and reason from first principles.
- You possess humility, optimism and a desire to learn and grow fast.
This Isn't For You If:
- You haven't worked as a Product Designer as part of an in-house, cross-functional product team in a fast-growing business before. We know there are many great designers working for design agencies, but due to the importance of this role we require past experience in a similar environment.
- You need the structure of established processes. We're growing fast and learning as we go, from each other as we build the team, but also through trial and error. As such, it's essential you have a proven track record of working in this type of environment.
What We Offer:
- Pension (employer contribution 3% of base salary).
- Flexible working: Work equipment of your choice (paid for by us), and you can work flexibly from home or from our coworking space (also paid for by us).
- Childcare flexibility: Need to pick your child up from school? No problem.
- Comprehensive private health insurance that disregards medical history.
- 33 days holiday per year (25 days + ****bank holidays, which you can switch with your religious holiday).
- £1000 yearly budget for education, growth, and training.
- Personal growth opportunities and career progression (e.g., learn about the startup ecosystem, mentoring from executive team, learn about psychological science and research methods).
- Open, transparent, and inclusive culture.
- A company committed to carbon offsetting: we donate money in your name each month to plant trees and we offset travel as an organization each year.
- Generous maternity, paternity, and shared parental leave.
At Prolific, we're changing how research on the internet is done. Our co-founders Katia and Phelim started by building a marketplace that connects researchers from both Academia and industry with instant, high quality, global research participants. Now, as a growing team, our bigger vision is to build the most powerful and trusted platform for behavioral research.
We were in Y Combinator's Summer 2019 batch, we've recently closed a $1.4M seed round, we've been growing 3x a year purely through word-of-mouth, we're already profitable, and we have very ambitious plans.
The Interview Process
Initial Interview - You'll have a 30 - 45 minute interview with two members of the team where you'll have the opportunity to ask about the company and the role, and we'll ask you questions about your experiences and goals.
Presentation - You'll give a short presentation of a complex or challenging problem you solved through design, followed by some relevant role-based questions. This stage will last 1 hour in total.
Design Task - There will be a 2 hour synchronous design task that evaluates skills required for the role. You'll be compensated with a £50 voucher for completing the task because we know your time is valuable!
Final Interview - The final stage is a 1.5 hour interview where we'll deep dive into your past experiences, goals and motivations. You'll speak with two to three members of the team and - as always - have an opportunity to ask questions about the role and company.
Python, Django, Django Rest Framework, Celery, Redis, MongoDB and Postgres, as well as Vue.js on the front-end. For infrastructure we use Kubernetes running on Google Cloud Platform.