Berbix is building identity verification and fraud deterrence as a service. Founded by the former engineering and product leaders for Trust & Safety at Airbnb, we empower companies to confidently answer the question: “Are you who you say you are?"
This is a question many online platforms need to answer. We've started answering this question by creating four lightweight hosted verifications:
- Verify an email address
- Verify a phone number
- Scan a photo ID
- Confirm a street address
We then have an add-on framework that integrates with multiple backend providers to further increase our confidence that users on the other side of the screen are who they say they are. We are targeting three primary use cases:
- Age Verification
Ordering alcohol, nicotine, and marijuana online is quickly becoming the norm. Platforms need a confident way to ensure these orders are being made by and delivered to consumers above a certain age. Many have regulatory requirements to collect an ID. We also help other age-restricted services like online gambling.
- Fraud Deterrence
Every online platform has a fraud problem. By offering platforms a range of user-facing verifications, we're adding additional tools to their proverbial toolbox to help fight fraud. For example, requiring phone verification of a bona fide mobile number (as opposed to a virtual number) for high-value or otherwise riskier transactions.
- KYC ("Know Your Customer")
Cryptocurrency and other FinTech startups have various compliance requirements for identifying account holders. We provide a secure and user-friendly way to collect photo IDs from their users.
Berbix’s mission is to enable all individuals to prove who they are and control how their information gets shared. Founded by the former engineering and product leaders for Trust & Safety at Airbnb, we empower companies to confidently answer the question: “Are you who you say you are?"
This is a question many online platforms need to answer about their users. We solve that problem by offering best-in-class ID verification and proprietary fraud detection technology to our customers, which they can access through developer friendly SDKs. We serve customers in a broad variety of industries, recently raised our Series A led by Mayfield, and are actively growing our all-star team.
As our first full-time designer, you will work collaboratively with product, engineering, and sales to ensure a great user experience of our product. You will take a major role in ideation sessions, translating complex ideas into easy-to-use responsive interfaces. You’ll be designing user flows, mockups and interactive prototypes to effectively communicate ideas and product requirements across multiple projects in parallel, while evolving our design systems.
Our process is very iterative and agile, and we value the feedback loop. Our ideal candidate will be a passionate and creative critical thinker balanced with flexibility and accustomed to frequent usability testing and iteration. Candidates should be self-organized, research driven, and eager to communicate with the team to fully understand how our products work. You must have a big picture focus, but also care about the details. At Berbix, everyone likes to get their hands dirty - we are all problem solvers, eager to work together to identify design problems and work out intelligent solutions.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Design product concepts that balance vision, craft, speed, and business potential.
- Craft every detail of new product features, from idea to UX to pixel-perfect execution.
- Run projects end to end with engineers to ship your vision to our users.
- Partner closely with our Sales and Customer Success teams to understand what each of our diverse user segments need, want, and love about Berbix. Use this data and acquired intuition to prioritize, plan, and scope our product roadmap.
- Work with Marketing to devise new ways to tell great stories throughout the user lifecycle, and across our site, product, help guides and other channels.
- Create new patterns that are intuitive, practical, and convergent.
- Evolve our design system intentionally as we scale.
- You have 3-5+ years of working design experience.
- You have well-rounded skills and experience to run projects independently end to end.
- You can create clear, intuitive, and visually appealing human interfaces. (UI)
- You can untangle vague conceptual problems, and have a sharp intuition for the most accessible mental models and flows, so users can immediately start gaining value out of the product. (UX)
- You can understand basic coding in HTML + CSS.
- You care about the business needs, implications, and practicality of your designs. You don't get stuck on pretty UI or deep abstractions, and can balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line.
- You're a good listener who collaborates well with different stakeholders.
- You like to tell stories using both words and visuals, and strategize the best way to make your point.
Nice to haves
- You've designed and built great products with small teams.
- You've worked at a high growth and/or early stage company.
- You’ve built SaaS products.
We are a company that values the well-being of our employees and we strive to cultivate a healthy and inclusive work culture. We offer a robust benefits package to our full-time employees, including:
-100% company paid premiums for medical, dental, & vision. 50% company paid premiums for dependents
-Flexible and generous PTO + 20 holidays
-401 (k) retirement plan + company match, AD&D + life insurance
-Company-sponsored FSA account for medical expenses
-Monthly wellness allowance to spend on your mind and body
-Professional Development allowance to learn new, and grow existing skills
-12 week, 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
-Daily in office lunch + healthy office snacks and Ritual Coffee
-Commuter benefits - pre-tax + $50 monthly stipend to use on commuting or parking
-Regular office social activities like Fun Fridays, Monthly Bagel Breakfasts, and Quarterly Company Offsites
Berbix is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We aspire to promote a diverse and inclusive environment for all current and future employees.
We are fully built on Google Cloud and are able to leverage a number of the services they offer. Our stack is currently:
- Go and React on App Engine
- Java, Node and Go on Kubernetes (where there is some limitation in App Engine)
- Cloud Datastore and Cloud Storage