Senior Marketing Artist
Mission: We build communities.
Surrounded by mountains and water in beautiful Vancouver, BC, we are smart people who like smart people. We create mobile games with a social core that engage players and provoke us with creative new problems.
When we set out to make great games with massive online communities, we knew that we first had to create the ideal environment for building ambitious things. A place where brilliant and inspiring people could come together and build games that make millions of players happy. We realized that we needed to find incredibly talented people and get out of their way. Since then we've paid careful attention to how we like to work together. This is a brief summary of our guiding principles:
OWNERSHIP: We take complete ownership of our work and act in the best interests of the company. We’re the type of people who care - a lot. It’s never “not my job.”
HAVE WONDERFUL ARGUMENTS: We’re comfortable thinking deeply about important issues, and care enough to respectfully challenge decisions when we disagree. Mutual respect and checked egos allow for productive debate and better outcomes than any we would have achieved individually.
*THE BEST IDEAS WIN: *We want everyone involved in problem-solving, regardless of their position. We frequently seek feedback from each other and our players in order to challenge our assumptions, and make data-driven decisions when possible.
KEEP GROWING: We’re always building and improving on our skills and processes. We understand that when we learn, we see exponential improvement in ourselves, our products and our company. We’re never finished learning.
Together our values and mission are the driving force for why ATA exists and how we operate as a team. These cultural foundations are embedded in everything we do, especially in how we hire. We aim to hire people who share our values, believe in building communities and can add to our culture.
Who we are
A Thinking Ape builds communities through mobile games with emergent social play and original IP. We released our first game in 2009 and have been profitable and growing every year since. We are a bottom-up driven company with small teams that have a big focus on ownership and data driven decision making. Our portfolio of games are growing. We are scaling our marketing team and entering new markets to capitalize on this growth and bring our games to more players.
As a Senior Marketing Artist you will use your background in marketing creative to work on campaigns for our existing and new games. You will help define brands, craft creative concepts, and explore innovative ways to attract new players to our communities. You have a deep understanding of marketing and branding and can use your art skills to communicate these concepts and execute campaigns alongside the team of artists working with you.
With the support of our data science team, our marketing art team can measure the impact of everything they create and reach millions of users per year. We need your help leading them to a strategy that helps us reach into the tens of millions of users and maybe with your expertise, the hundreds of millions.
You will be working on Team Narwhal, our performance marketing team responsible for growing all of our games across multiple channels. As a team we execute on a high volume of creatively diverse content and aren’t afraid to try new things, take risks, and learn.
Things you will work on
- Concept and create innovative and eye catching campaigns
- Work with the game teams to ensure the overall branding and messaging across various touch points is consistent
- Provide feedback to your team and ensure everyone is working towards the same vision
- Work with analysts to dig into campaign data and understand what is performing across different channels
- Direct the marketing team to generate ideas through regular creative brainstorms
- Work closely with the Marketing Art Lead, and User Acquisition team to determine overall strategy and direction of a product
- Competitive research - know what’s trending on the app store and what other companies are doing
- Develop goals and roadmaps for your team to continually raise the bar for your product
Who you are
You are excited about the types of games we make at ATA and the variety of audiences our marketing creative team must appeal to through the content they create. You can create high level marketing strategy while coaching and mentoring your team, but what really excites you is the variety in this role and the opportunity to work alongside your team creating concepts and brainstorming new ideas.
The perfect candidate will also be a passionate player of free-to-play games across different genres. You play them daily, understand how they monetize, and how to market these games.
The primary qualifications we’re looking for are
- You have several years experience working in advertising or at a marketing agency - you know how to sell a product
- You are passionate about marketing, branding, and gaming
- You have experience leading creative projects and a team of artists across multiple disciplines including motion/video artists and graphic designers.
- Expert experience in Adobe After Effects, Photoshop, and Premier
- You have a killer portfolio demonstrating your expertise in Motion/Graphic Design
- You have the ability to set a campaign look and feel and ensure all output matches the set style
- You have experience working with creative pipelines designed to iterate and test out many creative concepts quickly
- You have the experience and ability to know what appeals to players and can use this skill to create great performance marketing campaigns
- You are not afraid to get your “hands dirty”
- You possess communication skills to present and inspire others with your ideas
- You have extensive experience working with agencies and in-house teams
Some other things that help are
- Experience with 2D or 3D art animation
- Experience with storyboarding
- Experience working with outsourcing pipelines
- Experience with App Store optimization or other creative testing frameworks
We have committed to a remote first approach for 2021 with access to in-person collaboration spaces in Vancouver when safe to do so. Our intention is to use 2021 as the foundational year to develop our remote excellence and help shape the future of ATA. This means our roles are currently open to candidates who can work in Canada between the core hours of 11am - 4pm PST. We are open to help relocate the successful candidate to Canada.
While everyone on our team is different, to thrive here you should...
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail–you experiment and learn from your mistakes
What’s in it for you
At ATA you’re offered a flexible, safe, inclusive environment in which you have the autonomy to do your best work, surrounded by a strong team and with the encouragement of supportive leadership that doesn’t just care what you’re doing, but how you’re doing. You’re trusted, respected, listened to, cared for and valued. You take on thought-provoking projects and tackle fun problems alongside people who are equally invested in making meaningful contributions and seeing new ideas come to life. You know how your work aligns with the company’s goals. Your career is given the space and resources to progress. You accomplish things that make you proud. You are compensated competitively, your health and wellbeing are top priorities and you enjoy plenty of perks. You build communities, take ownership, have wonderful arguments, let the best ideas win and keep growing. You don’t just work for ATA, you are an integral part of ATA.
Our commitment to inclusion
At ATA we build communities. But community extends beyond our players: it also encompasses our employees and candidates. We support diversity in the workplace and always strive for inclusion. Part of this is selfish; we believe we’ll make better decisions if we’re able to tap into a variety of different perspectives. But we also care that our employees and candidates feel valued and comfortable being themselves. Please consider applying even if you don't meet every qualification. Experience comes in many forms and we value adding diverse perspectives to our teams.
Discover even more
Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today, and learn about our culture by following @athinkingape on social. You can also listen to Kenshi Arasaki, ATA CEO & Co-Founder, talk about what it’s like to work here.
We use a wide variety of technologies to build our games and we try to pick the best tool for the job rather than what we've used in the past.
Our newest games' front-ends are built in Unity (C#), with older games built with many other frameworks including cocos2D, LibGDX, and native Android/iOS. Front-end engineers are focused on prototyping and polishing implementations of new features, optimizing game clients for higher performance, and building internal tools to automate processes across disciplines.
The back-end system is a microservice architecture that is shared across all games. Our back-end stack consists of Django (Python) with a MySQL database. We also make heavy use of a variety of other technologies including Redis, Memcached, Kafka, Docker, Kibana, uwsgi, and HAProxy, among others. Back-end engineers are focused on building scalable systems for massively multiplayer mobile games that will support thousands of concurrent users.