Sr. Product Designer
Flock makes wireless security systems for neighborhoods and police departments.
While only 13% of non-violent crime is solved today, with our wireless license plate reading cameras, our goal is to take that to 100%.
Want to help build a company that’s improving our cities, solving crime, and protecting the privacy of individual citizens? Are you excited about eliminating crime and fascinated by building technology to ethically and objectively help private citizens and local law enforcement work together?
Flock helps communities eliminate crime. We do this by deploying cameras which police can use to detect vehicles involved in crime. In communities where Flock is deployed, we have seen a 40% reduction in non-violent crime - a huge quality of life improvement for that community!
Flock is currently at an inflection point where people who join now will have a career defining opportunity. We are growing and well funded by top tier VCs: Initialized Capital, YCombinator, Matrix Partners, Bedrock Capital, and Founders Fund.
As a foundational member of the product team, you will work across most projects at Flock - from web interfaces for police, mobile interfaces for field technicians, and internal tools for managing a massive hardware network.
- Work with engineers and product managers to define both the long-term strategy and the short-term tactics for our products
- Partner with product managers to perform user research to identify problems and validate solutions
- Produce the artifacts needed—specs, sketches, wireframes, mockups, prototypes, or code—to take UI ideas from conception to production
- Work in a highly collaborative fashion with the design, product, and project teams
- Participate in design reviews and share your work regularly with the design and company leadership
- Help hire additional designers to grow the design team at Flock.
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Think in systems and are able to extrapolate and extend shared patterns and behaviors
- Can reduce complex problems down to the right balance of flexibility, power, and ease of use
- Have amazing visual and interaction design sensibilities
- Are skilled in explaining your work, process, and decisions to cross-functional stakeholders and crave feedback to help you produce your best work
- You care about details and are excited to keep pushing your work until is pixel-perfect
- Are uncompromisingly user-centric, but able to set and achieve priorities that find the perfect balance between benefiting the project, the Design team, and all of Flock
- Have 5+ years relevant design experience at a tech, product-driven company
You might work on:
- Police - Tools for police to take action on objective evidence
- HOA - Tools for private citizens to monitor their property and report crime to police
- Delivery - Make hardware installation and maintenance a positive customer touchpoint
- Field Operations - Internal tools to manage a large network of cameras
- Mobile experiences across web, iOS, and Android
You should include these in your application:
- A link to your online portfolio
- Your CV or LinkedIn profile
- A few words about why Flock is interesting to you
Main Stack: Scala (Play), Typescript (Node.js), React Native, Postgres DB, Standard frontend goodness (jQuery, KnockoutJS, CSS3). Hosted on AWS (Elastic Beanstalk) using Docker.
Camera Firmware: Embedded Android running on a custom PCB that we develop in house.
Machine Learning: TensorFlow, TF Serving, Kubernetes