Chief Credit Risk Officer
TradeUp funds students through trade school (think electricians, welders, pharmacists, or solar technicians). We use ISAs, or income-share agreements, which have far more protections for students than traditional private loans, and we're defining a new financial securities market around these ISAs.
We also partner with the top trade schools and employers in the country to get our students jobs, and we're excited to bring our students banking and other financial services in the future.
We went through Y Combinator and are a small, well-funded company. You'll be joining an experienced team - our first few hires include the former CIO of HSBC Bank, who previously managed JP Morgan's entire $280b US investment portfolio in 17 years there; and the former head of student success at SoFi, who was one of their earliest employees.
As the Chief Credit Risk Officer, you'll work with TradeUp as we become the brand that represents every trade worker in America. We're a remote team, and will be based in NYC mid-to-late next year. You'll be our ~13th team member, and work directly with our veteran CIO.
To apply, you can use Work at a Startup, or email us at [email protected]!
Responsibilities of this role
- Work on our internal models - building TradeUp's fund model and underwriting process.
- Manage our existing portfolio of ISAs, create metrics and work with our product and servicing team closely to maximize return
- Work closely with our CIO to make sure our portfolio is meeting capital partner expectations
- Define our underwriting criteria for future ISAs to minimize risk and maximize fundable students
- Oversee the creation of income share agreement terms for new trade verticals (plumbing, welding, etc) balancing payback, financial burden on our students, and risk share with our partner schools
- Advise and collaborate with our servicing team as we solidify our process for servicing active ISAs and moving ISAs to collections
- Build out a strong, data focused, underwriting team
- 6+ years of experience in credit risk or related field
- Proven track record managing financial teams
- Consumer credit experience
- Strong fund management and investment strategy experience.
- You're excited about working on a small team, or have worked with a small team before.
- Experience with one or more of the following: distressed lending / subprime lending / esoteric assets
At TradeUp, we will treat you well with a competitive salary and equity offer. Depending on your risk tolerance, we would love to talk more with you about the range of options available between the two.
Our tech stack: React, Python, Flask, postgresql, and React Native.