Laboratory Operations Technician, Automation Deployment
Ginkgo Bioworks is the organism company. We design custom organisms for customers across multiple markets. We build our foundries to scale the process of organism engineering using software and hardware automation. Organism engineers at Ginkgo learn from nature to develop new organisms that replace technology with biology.
Engineering biology isn't easy. It is frustratingly, painfully difficult. It's programming without a debugger, manufacturing without CAD, and construction without cranes. At Ginkgo we are building a team that can build debuggers, write CAD, and operate cranes. We are looking for the best engineers, scientists, and hackers.
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
We’re looking for dedicated Laboratory Operations Technicians to oversee the deployment of all new automation equipment at our expanding Boston and Cambridge facilities. Working in close collaboration with Ginkgo’s Automation Team, you’ll help to ensure installation is completed correctly and within contract terms, and that equipment is ready and operational for the team’s use. As the primary bridge between our Lab Operations and Automation teams, your role will be critical to maintaining efficient and effective operations at Ginkgo.
- This is a fixed-term role for an approximate 6-month duration, with the potential to extend to full-time. Anticipated schedule is Monday to Friday, 9:00am - 5:00pm.
- While we are interested in all qualified candidates who are authorized to work in the U.S., we are not able to sponsor immigration-related employment visas for this particular role. That said, it is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to review applications regardless of race, gender, ethnic origin, or any other classification protected by law.
- Deploy all new automation equipment at Ginkgo’s Boston and Cambridge locations.
- Collaborate with Ginkgo’s Automation Team to ensure that installation is completed correctly and within contract terms, and that equipment is ready and operational for the team’s use.
- Coordinate with Ginkgo’s IT and Software teams to connect equipment to network and software integrations.
- Establish root causes of automation system errors, escalating serious concerns to engineering team members and ensuring issue resolution.
- Consult with development team members, internal users, and external vendors to identify and suggest system improvements and enhance application performance.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of operational integrated systems, including hardware and software.
- Attend training sessions with vendor service providers on specific automation equipment, assisting with the subsequent training of Ginkgo team members to ensure our knowledge base remains current across teams.
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field
- Previous experience working with automation equipment, preferably within a laboratory setting
- Strong aptitude for troubleshooting equipment problems that occur in a production environment
- Ability to write scripts and review code to effectively analyze data and resolve issues
- Devotion and enthusiasm for providing excellent user/customer support
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to collaborate with multidisciplinary teams in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- Strong level of efficiency and self-motivation to complete tasks accurately and on time
- Extremely process-oriented mindset, with acute attention to detail
- Strong drive to help our project succeed, keeping in mind Ginkgo’s mission and the customers we’re supporting
- Ability to rotate time between Ginkgo’s Boston and Cambridge locations