Senior Accounting Manager (Controller)
Whatnot is a community marketplace where you can buy, sell, go live and geek out with collectors and other like-minded people. Today’s online marketplaces are neither safe nor fun -- they’re full of counterfeits, and you shop by endlessly scrolling through listings. Whatnot verifies every item sold and provides a fun social shopping experience to enjoy with friends and community members.
Whatnot is backed by some of the industry’s best venture capital investors, including Y Combinator, Scribble.vc, Liquid 2 Ventures, and Wonder Ventures.
Whatnot is a community marketplace where you can buy, sell, go live and geek out with collectors and other like-minded people. Whatnot is backed by some of the industry’s best venture capital investors, including Y Combinator, Scribble.vc, Liquid 2 Ventures, Operator Partners and Wonder Ventures.
About the Role
Our Senior Accounting Manager will function as the company controller. This role will take over our accounting practice from a 3rd party, establishing a foundational process to support exponential growth. Create the proper record keeping for our unique marketplace and advise all departments on best practice. Reporting to the Head of Operations you will be the first member of the finance team with massive input and visibility to the executive team.
The ideal candidate will have strong relatable experience, a loud voice and a vision. This person will welcome the challenge of building from scratch and setting a foundation for the future. Someone who is hungry to take advantage of a start up opportunity.
- Oversee and direct all accounting operational functions.
- Work closely with the executive team and partners to ensure efficient and successful firm-wide operation.
- Develop and prepare balance sheet, P&L account analysis & monthly reconciliations.
- Manage finance department operations, including accounts payable, billings & collections, and payroll.
- Oversee regulatory reporting, frequently including tax planning and compliance.
- Source and make recommendations on financial technology and vendors to support the business.
- Create the data architecture within our technology and reporting mechanisms to drive accounting process, regulatory requirements, and financial discipline.
- Liaise with external auditors and tax professionals.
- 7+ years of experience in the accounting field with roles of increasing responsibility or as a controller.
- Experience working with Ecommerce and Digital marketplaces.
- Proven track record of managing accounting processes and creating best practices.
- CPA preferred and MBA is a plus.
- Understanding of Technology, Digital currency and Marketplace operations.
- Experience and comfort manipulating raw data.
Top-quality healthcare benefits, generous parental leave, unlimited vacation policy, lunch, internet & cell phone expensed, competitive salary, equity.
Infrastructure: AWS, Kubernetes, Serverless
Databases: Postgres, DynamoDB, ElasticSearch, Redis
Backend: Python (Flask), Node
Front-End React, React Native