Whatnot is a community marketplace where you can buy, sell, go live and geek out with collectors and other like-minded people. Today’s online marketplaces are neither safe nor fun -- they’re full of counterfeits, and you shop by endlessly scrolling through listings. Whatnot verifies every item sold and provides a fun social shopping experience to enjoy with friends and community members.
Whatnot is backed by some of the industry’s best venture capital investors, including Y Combinator, Scribble.vc, Liquid 2 Ventures, Wonder Ventures & Andressan Horowitz
Skills: Git, Kubernetes, Python, Docker, Bash/Shell, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
As a DevOps engineer, you will be responsible for building out scalable infrastructure for our live streaming and marketplace software on AWS. You'll set up and maintain Kubernetes in production, deploy database systems, and implement large-scale, multi-region, multi-cloud deployments. This will be the first DevOps hire for Whatnot and you will have a lot of responsibility in a very face-paced growing startup environment.
We're looking for capable generalist DevOps engineers. The most important skills you’ll need to have are the ability to make sound decisions and build out high-quality scalable infrastructure fast. Whatnot is growing very rapidly, so you must be able to deal with the pressure/growth that comes with a high-growth environment.
The software team has a lot of individual responsibility and a lot more freedoms, so we need to hire people we can trust. Your ability to make good trade-offs and exercise good judgment is particularly important to us.
- Ensuring availability, performance, security, and scalability of AWS production systems.
- Work with the engineering team to get services deployed across different environments.
- Scale for capacity and traffic spikes of 20x normal load during high-volume events
- Providing recommendations for architecture and process improvements.
- Maintain an efficient CI/CD pipeline to help developers ship the software faster and safer in a structured environment.
- 5+ years of DevOps engineering experience building scalable systems that can handle millions of users.
- An AWS master. (Cloudformation, EKS, ECS, EC2, RDS).
- Kubernetes and Docker experience.
- Expert knowledge of various CI/CD workflows.
- You are known for ship lightning fast.
- Excellent communication/writing skills.
- Self-starter. You will be able to hit the ground running with little direction.
- Startup experience at a high-growth company.
- Expertise in other cloud platforms (Google, Azure).
- streaming technologies (WebRTC, RTSP, RTMP).
Full-time and benefits (top-quality healthcare benefits, generous parental leave, unlimited vacation policy, lunch, internet & cell phone expensed, highly competitive compensation, equity)
Infrastructure: AWS, Kubernetes, Serverless
Databases: Postgres, DynamoDB, ElasticSearch, Redis
Backend: Python (Flask), Node, Elixir
Front-End React, React Native, Swift, Kotlin