Product Manager, Audience Expansion
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 600 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
The Athletic has changed the way sports fans follow their favorite teams and leagues. Our core product team works at the intersection of our engineering, design, and data teams, as well as The Athletic’s Newsroom, the largest in sports media. Our team strives to craft sports experiences that blend technology with world class sports journalism. Each member of our product team will take end-to-end ownership over the long term strategy and execution against a key company priority. The Audience Expansion PM will lead the team’s efforts in launching and improving content experiences focused on expanding our user base.
- Grow the visibility and value of our content by implementing technical and newsroom SEO improvements.
- Build new content experiences within our platform (e.g., player pages, Newsletters).
- Launch user experiences off-platform in conjunction with our distribution partners (e.g., smart home speakers, news aggregators).
- Take a broadly defined vision and goals for this strategic area and turn it into a month over month roadmap, working collaboratively with cross-functional stakeholders including SEO, Partnerships, Editorial, Content Strategy, and Social.
- Launch new internal products into the newsroom, working closely with editorial leadership, to own and drive key success metrics.
- Lead day-to-day work with a dedicated set of engineers to execute on your roadmap, driving cross-functional teams and incorporating senior team members.
- Ensure Product and Editorial are in sync for major content initiatives (e.g., new product launches, major sporting events, promotions).
- Support or lead other projects within the broader Core Product team
- 2+ years of Product Management or comparable experience.
- A strong technical foundation or eagerness and ability to quickly learn. You should feel comfortable working with engineers every day.
- Experience working with senior internal and external stakeholders (e.g., client- or customer-facing experience) such that you are comfortable engaging 1-1 with third parties.
- You have a knack for, and enjoy, working with design to solve complex UX challenges.
- You’re analytically driven. You love running experiments, working with data science, and can handle making sense of data and getting to the answers that will drive us forward.
- You bring an incredible work ethic, and a high bar - We’re a fast growing startup. We need people that can roll up their sleeves, deal with ambiguity, flex outside the role and focus on get the job done. Moreover, you can do all of this without sacrificing the quality The Athletic is known for. You’d describe yourself as scrappy.
- Preferred, not required: you have some experience delivering, managing, and innovating on a roadmap of features, with your fingerprints all over features.
- You have past experience working on engagement focused consumer products and/or traffic-driving features (e.g., SEO).
- Preferred, not required: a passion for the world of media and/or sports.
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.