Backend Engineer, Payments
We build software that helps developers add authentication, billing, and membership functionality to any project with one line of code.
Our goal is to enable more people to build and scale online businesses.
It's never been easier to build a website, but the opportunity to build or own an online business is still out of reach for the vast majority of people. That's why we're creating tools that make it easier & more affordable to spin up a web app, operate and scale an online business, and get paid.
Progress so far
A lot has changed in the last 1-2ish years. We started an agency to prove the concept in 2018, launched on Product Hunt in July 2019, and now Memberstack supports over 1,300 companies 🎉 🎉 🎉 🎉 Collectively, our customers have made over $10 million and created accounts for 500k people.
We're a small team of 7, have 5 years of runway, and earlier this year we raised money from Gradient Ventures, a cofounder of Firebase, the founder of Teachable, and 12 others in the payments/auth space.
Skills: Express, GraphQL, Node.js
About this role and why it's critical:
Memberstack's current version of the application is built on Webflow (front-end), Node, Express, and Mongo (backend). With a scrappy MVP, we've been able to scale to 1,500+ customers who have made over $10M in revenue using Memberstack.
We built Memberstack's initial payments architecture on Stripe, and are looking to make full use of the Stripe API. We're also exploring other payments gateways like PayPal to let our customers process payments through multiple gateways via Memberstack.
This role is critical to our mission. You will be responsible for building functionality for thousands of customers and extending the scope of our payments product. Your work will enable thousands of people to build, operate, and scale their online businesses.
What to expect:
👋 Week one: Hit the ground running. Our 4 person product team is small, busy, and excited to work with someone they can trust to get the job done. Our primary goals in that first week are for you to feel comfortable with our stack, introduced to the team, and ready to co-architect a payments system ready to handle hundreds of millions of dollars in the coming years. You'll work closely with the rest of the team, and they'll trust that what you're building is following industry best practices, easy to use, and scalable.
🌱 Month one: We're in the process of rebuilding our product and migrating to 2.0. We'll need your help supporting existing customers who occasionally have Stripe related questions. This will be a great opportunity to meet some of our (wonderful) customers. The majority of your time will go into developing payment functionality for the future of Memberstack.
🌳 Long term: This role will never go away! We don't expect you to stay forever, but we'd love if you did. We're in this for the long haul, and we're here to support your goals.
Does this sound like you?
- You're proficient with backend technologies like Node, GraphQL, and Mongo.
- You have experience with Stripe's API, and are willing to apply it in a complex product.
- You know to how to architect and build scalable infrastructure to help scale Memberstack to the next level as a mission critical tool for online businesses and teams.
- You know how to refactor existing applications into clearer, standardized, documented, and testable applications.
- You love developing software applications from start to finish: through conception, research, polish, and maintenance — to build delightful products that perform reliably.
- You can code, test, debug, and automate complex applications on the back-end, but are not afraid to occasionally help in the front-end.
- You're able to operate with a high degree of independence & autonomy.
- You're a product-builder at heart and care about building meaningful, exceptional technology.
- You have clear written & verbal communication skills in English.
- Bonus: You've previously engineered products that have been used by a lot of people.
- Bonus: You've previously helped scale API's to operate in a multi-region capacity.
- Bonus: You're fluent with other payment gateways in addition to Stripe, such as PayPal.
- Bonus: You're excited about working with other payment gateway APIs.
If even 70% of this role description sounds like you, we'd be delighted to hear from you.
We build authentication & billing infrastructure that is beautiful, best-in-class, and easy to use — with or without code.