Sales and Marketing Intern (part time in-school internship)
We make vanpooling easy for everyone. In the process we help companies and employees take cars off the road and save time that would otherwise be wasted behind the wheel.
About MagicBus, Inc.
MagicBus is on a mission to transform the way people commute. In the process, we are taking cars off the road and giving commuters their time back. We are a Series A funded startup backed by Y Combinator, Floodgate Capital, and other top investors, and we’re confident that we can scale.
As commuting volumes have reduced with COVID, we’re focusing on customer development, research, building our product, and initial sales and marketing. We have a strong conviction that commuting will return and our product can help people commute in a better way that is cost-effective, safe, and sustainable.
MagicBus is seeking a university student interested in a sales and marketing role at a technology start-up. The individual will work closely with the CEO and VP of Strategy & Operations on initiatives that are highly impactful and challenging. The individual is highly-motivated, diligent, emotionally intelligent, and has excellent customer-facing, communication, and project management skills.
This is a part-time, remote, and paid position, and we have openings immediately. Success in the role can lead to summer internships and full-time employment in a Chief of Staff role or other internal roles. If you’re interested, we are looking forward to hearing from you!
Expected # hours per week: 10-30 Start date and end dates are flexible, but we'd like you to commit for at least 4 months and ideally much longer.
Responsibilities and Duties
1) B2B & B2C Sales - The individual will be responsible for the following activities with regular guidance from the VP of Strategy & Operations:
- Conduct outreach to B2B customers (transit authorities, fleet owners, large employers) and B2C customers -- this includes prospecting on the web and making cold/warm calls or emails
- Conduct initial interviews to understand customer pain points
- Discuss how MagicBus can help and give product demos
- Develop proposals for the interested customer, composed of modeling out unit economics model and determining profit sharing strategy
- Onboard customers [THIS IS A KEY OBJECTIVE]
- Turn information from the interviews into recommendations for product roadmap and strategy
- Continuously analyze our process and approach for improvements
- Support efforts on LinkedIn, Facebook, and Google advertising, including developing the strategy, writing marketing messages, and analyzing conversion data
- Support improvements to our website, including suggesting and writing new content
- Manage MagicBus's social media accounts (LinkedIn, Facebook), including writing content regularly, attracting followers
The ideal candidate will be pursuing a bachelors degree from a top-tier university, a strong GPA, and previous internship/work experience, ideally at a startup or professional services company. In addition, the candidate is:
- An excellent communicator
- Skilled at persuasion and building relationships
- A Google ninja, master at internet research
- Organized, methodical, and can creatively+logically make something out of nothing
- A self-starter who requires little direction but asks for help when needed
- A hustler who drives to achieve a successful outcome
- Highly interested in startups, technology, transportation, and sustainability
In this role, you will
- Learn a ton about how to talk to customers and understand their true needs, which is hypercritical for achieving product-market-fit for any company
- Practice public speaking
- Get a holistic view of what it's like to build a company from the ground up, from sales and marketing to technology development to operations
- Build relationships with veterans of the transportation industry
- Make significant impact for our company
Other things we provide:
- A diverse and inclusive culture
- Professional development and mentorship
We're working on problems related to geospatial route optimization, machine learning, and natural language processing in addition to mobile web and app development.